Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(in place of a velcro baby smilie, this one will have to do!)

You know, the one where the current little one senses a change is coming, but doesn't know what to expect at all and decides, in the lack of knowledge, to not let mama out of his sight for sure and preferably his arms. He and I took a nap together in the nursing mother's room at church this morning after he clung to me all through worship.

It doesn't help that his favorite person in the whole, wide world (aka "Daddy") has returned to work and isn't here to be at his beck and call all day. It also doesn't help that he's thisclose to walking but doesn't think he can do it yet (he totally could) so he wants to but he's scared to. And it helps even less that he was sick all last week.

I know this will pass and I'm trying to relish every moment of it knowing that all too soon he won't be the baby anymore. As a matter of fact, as I rocked him this morning, I thought to myself, sadly, that it may very well be the last time I get to rock him to sleep...it's been a rarity for me (not daddy) for a while anyway, but with a new baby to take care of, I'm sure snuggles will be even more limited.

Still, I'd like to vacuum, pee, eat, or SOMETHING without having to hold or carry him (because carrying him is getting really, really hard between the head in my ribs, the round ligament pain, the big belly, and the sciatica).

· Registered
1,334 Posts
*hugs* were kinda in that position now too. dd is just at my side alllll the time. she's 18m and doesn't have a clue whats about to happen. At night, several times in the past week she's woken up and not stopped crying until she gets set next to me to sleep (she usually sleeps sidecarred in her crib with dh next to her).

· Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xixstar View Post
*hugs* were kinda in that position now too. dd is just at my side alllll the time. she's 18m and doesn't have a clue whats about to happen. At night, several times in the past week she's woken up and not stopped crying until she gets set next to me to sleep (she usually sleeps sidecarred in her crib with dh next to her).
Ah, yes, the night waking. How could I forget that one? Sigh.

We aren't nursing anymore b/c when my supply tanked at 13w, he was done and didn't look back. I almost wish we were because the stupid paci hanging out of his mouth like a cigarette 24/7 has made his teeth crooked
so I have had to really work on only doing the paci in bed and the car (in my INFINITE wisdom, I started that the day before he got sick). Lemmie tell you how well THAT'S going.
I honestly wouldn't care, and DIDN'T care, except for the tooth thing. It really, really bothers me and I can totally see that it's b/c of the paci. If the new baby takes a paci, it will be a different kind than he takes because I can totally see him stealing hers all the time if it's the same one. Double sigh.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
My kids aren't so little this time around (which is fascinating)... but I can certainly feel a shift in their behavior. Most of the time, they are SOOOOO darn excited for this baby and helping me prep everything (folding clothes, washing diapers, picking out fabrics to make new clothes/diapers, etc).. but the middle one (she'll be 6 next month) is struggling the most I think. She's been waking a lot more during the night.. and REALLY having a hard time going to bed.

And .. ah.. the bittersweet "You're my baby right now but soon you won't be the littlest anymore" is really hitting me. Today during mass, Lucy was sitting on my lap.. and during songs wanted to be held.. and I got to thinking that there aren't many more Sundays I'll be able to do just that... *sigh* I almost started crying when I thought of that.. But I've gone through something similar to this every time just before a baby is born.

There are feelings of regret.. like... maybe you're NOT doing the right thing!? Maybe your family before was *perfectly fine* ... maybe this new little person is going to throw off all the balance you've tried to achieve. Maybe the already-earthside siblings will feel huge resentment and nothing will ever be the same?!

Of course nothing WILL ever be the same .... but usually for the good!!

hugs to you mamas with littler ones. It's a hard place to be in. Love up on them. Comfort them and their fears, even though they might not understand just exactly what's going on.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
FWIW, my 4 year old has been ultra-clingy for several months, now. And now she's does obvious behaviors that are just for attention (like saying "Owwwww, my leg hurts!!" when one of us starts a conversation...) I'm hoping she's going to be past that when the baby comes :-/

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Yeah, my 3 yo has decided to eat most of her meals in the highchair and wear a bib. Neither of which she EVER did as a baby/toddler. Each times she does it she tells me it 'is the last time ever'. LOL Thankfully she has finally started to bond with daddy though. I am praying this will make the transition easier. She and daddy have clashed with her SPD (sensory processing disorder) and his lack of respect/understanding for her different needs. Thankfully they seem to of worked through that. It sure has made things more peaceful around here!

· Registered
3,224 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean View Post
And .. ah.. the bittersweet "You're my baby right now but soon you won't be the littlest anymore" is really hitting me. Today during mass, Lucy was sitting on my lap.. and during songs wanted to be held.. and I got to thinking that there aren't many more Sundays I'll be able to do just that... *sigh* I almost started crying when I thought of that..
That makes me want to cry! (Maybe because I've got a 4YO Lucy who likes to sit on my lap, too.)

It's funny, because she's all outwardly excited, but if I actually talk to her about it, she'll tell me she's sad because of all the "things" that I do for her now that I'll have to stop doing for her and doing for the baby. This is the first time we're doing this--she's spent 4-1/2 years as an only child--so it's an adjustment for all of us.

And don't even get me started on the tantrums...

· Registered
565 Posts
Oh, we are in this boat too. I am on modified bedrest for PTL issues, and my 15mo just wants me to pick him up and hold him all the time. Even the dog is literally on my heels most of the day, like the baby is going to fall out any minute. I am hoping these 4 weeks of laying around with them helps.

· Registered
295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bc1995 View Post
Yeah, my 3 yo has decided to eat most of her meals in the highchair and wear a bib. Neither of which she EVER did as a baby/toddler.
The exact same thing is happening at my house...

My 3yo says "Daddy, I want you to feed me like a baby" which means we put the tray on he booster seat and spoon feed her. The funny thing is we didn't do that when she was a baby. We never did the pureed baby food/spoon feeding route.

Luckily, at 3, she has been learning how to tell us how she feels, and that is totally amazing. "mama, I'm lonely, can I have some attention?" is soooo much better than coloring on the walls or tearing up papers or chasing the dog!

· Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
That makes me want to cry! (Maybe because I've got a 4YO Lucy who likes to sit on my lap, too.)

I have a 4.5 year old Lucy too (well, she's Lucia, but goes by Lucy). She's sick right now and more emotionally needy than usual, but I gotta say I am really grateful that she's so big. It's a relief not to be dealing with a baby or toddler right now. That's so hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.