Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we went over to the IL today and we know that our lifestyle (BF a toddler while pregnant, attempting more natural living) is not the family's cup of tea. They look at us like we have two heads (each) and roll their eyes whenever the topic of BF comes up. That I can deal with, here's my beef.

MIL got DD this horrific talking doll that "smells like a baby" (carcinogenic pthalates), drinks out of a bottle, and asks for hugs, kisses, tickles etc. Basically it's like Chucky but packaged to be cute. It's extremely creepy.

Anyway, DD was feeding the baby a bottle then decided she'd rather nurse instead. Hilariously cute right? No, MIL started slapping her hands away and telling her that this baby doesn't breastfeed, it only drinks out of a bottle.
: I calmly explained to her that since we hadn't discouraged bottle feeding we shouldn't discourage BF either. Mommy isn't ashamed and neither should DD be. Finally DD walked off with the doll and found something else to do with the robot evil doll.

Then the discussion turned to my pregnancy, and why on earth would I bother with midwives if they aren't publicly funded yet? And how maybe I should save the family money by going to a doctor until they are funded (due in July, they're funded as of April)...which then turned into why would I go with a midwife anyway? "Doctors are better" etc etc. It quickly deteriorated into a discussion about how she didn't know what kind of doctors I'd had but that her doctors were always attentive and good and that she didn't understand why I "hate doctors so much".

Ah, the beauty of the holidays....I'll post an update of our next get-together where I'll get admonished for deciding not to circ....can't wait!

I've decided with this next LO I will NEVER be covering up or going to another room to nurse and they'll just have to deal with it...or maybe I'm just setting us up for a big family rift? I hate that every decision we make as a family is greeted with disdain...I'm so tired of it. They don't even know that I'm planning to tandem nurse....ay ay ay.

Thanks for listening if you've gotten this far.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swan3 View Post

Anyway, DD was feeding the baby a bottle then decided she'd rather nurse instead. Hilariously cute right? No, MIL started slapping her hands away and telling her that this baby doesn't breastfeed, it only drinks out of a bottle.
: I calmly explained to her that since we hadn't discouraged bottle feeding we shouldn't discourage BF either. Mommy isn't ashamed and neither should DD be. Finally DD walked off with the doll and found something else to do with the robot evil doll.

I've decided with this next LO I will NEVER be covering up or going to another room to nurse and they'll just have to deal with it...or maybe I'm just setting us up for a big family rift? I hate that every decision we make as a family is greeted with disdain...I'm so tired of it. They don't even know that I'm planning to tandem nurse....ay ay ay.

I'm mad for you! I would have smacked MIL hand away and said, "We don't deny babies the opportunity to BF" or something like that. What nerve she had
:

And ITA with you. Just take your top off and nurse your new baby infront of MIL. Please do this. I want to hear the funny stories that come along with it

her

And many
for you! It sucks when we have to defend our parenting decisons.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
How awful.

And how nice that they think that they get to decide where you spend your money. I am not the most AP/Natural Living person and I would never do what they did, nor would I tolerate someone's choices being disparaged in my presence.

Once, my uncle made a remark that women shouldn't be able to BF in public, and I lit into him. He shut up. He never knew I had BF my babies, since we lived so far away.

My MIL is convinced that I all I do is spend the money DH makes and he never gets anything, even glasses. (he does)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.