Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a fire place....where we found a bat to be in behind the mantle. not sure how it got in....but i would love to prevent this from happening again. should we get bat houses to encourage them to go elsewhere?
then we have had two birds, small, white with mainly brownish wings. one poor thing flew into the ceiling fan before we could get it out. stunned it but then our cat got it. then we had one just about the same time today (around 6ish) in the living room and it got out just fine.
we can not figure out how they are getting in....or why? we do go outside so the screen door will be open (briefly) as our dd's navigate the door but I would be surprised if they got in that way.
the flue is closed...but of course there are small gaps...we do not have a cap covering the flue or the chimney but could install one....
any help would calm a 7 week pregnant momma keep sain....i keep dreaming of things flying at me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like they're coming down the chimney. I think sometimes birds or bats sit on the edge then sort of "fall" down and can't fly back up (small gaps will be enough for them to get through with gravity on their side). This used to happen to us a lot in winter, because it would be warm up there by the chimney- one year a bird came down and then flew over and perched in our Christmas tree

A cover for the chimney is probably your best bet. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts