Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I was watching this special on PBS not too long ago and they stated that people who have the immunity for the bubonic plague are also immune to HIV. By using that group of people, they may be able to develop a vax.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_plague/

PBS story.

I was tested for plague immunity and I remember thinking "WTF!" "PLAGUE??"

I have English ancestors who came over in 1700s..maybe I should write to my English cousins (who we actually know..) and ask them about plaque immunity.

(They wanted to know about NAs and Delta 32 and were testing some I don't know why I was among them since I am not full-blood)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
I was watching this special on PBS not too long ago and they stated that people who have the immunity for the bubonic plague are also immune to HIV. By using that group of people, they may be able to develop a vax.
That's really interesting.

It's not uncommon to see the plague still, there are a few cases in the US every year.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
My mom works for a big lab company and one of the things that she does is to report certain diseases to state health departments for statistics and stuff, so I heard about it from her. She sees a few cases come through every year, though it's rare and a lot more easily treated nowadays.

From the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/plague/

Quote:
Wild rodents in certain areas around the world are infected with plague. Outbreaks in people still occur in rural communities or in cities. They are usually associated with infected rats and rat fleas that live in the home. In the United States, the last urban plague epidemic occurred in Los Angeles in 1924-25. Since then, human plague in the United States has occurred as mostly scattered cases in rural areas (an average of 10 to 15 persons each year). Globally, the World Health Organization reports 1,000 to 3,000 cases of plague every year. In North America, plague is found in certain animals and their fleas from the Pacific Coast to the Great Plains, and from southwestern Canada to Mexico. Most human cases in the United States occur in two regions: 1) northern New Mexico, northern Arizona, and southern Colorado; and 2) California, southern Oregon, and far western Nevada. Plague also exists in Africa, Asia, and South America

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
It's quite possible that the lab screwed up either the first or the second time they tested. It also might have been a "false positive" from a temporary condition- ie he might have had something other than HIV that can cause the HIV test to come up positive.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I'd heard years ago about people seemingly spontaneously being cured of AIDS. Or rather, suddenly having every sign of HIV no longer present, given the still contentious debate about whether or not HIV causes AIDS. Anyway, I've believed for a long time that medical science is withholding information from the public about people like this.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson
I've believed for a long time that medical science is withholding information from the public about people like this.
Oh, absolutly!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hmm I had ancestors come over from England in 1635 so it's possible I have the immunity too. Is there some sort of test group that does it as a study so I don't have to pay for the test? It would be nice because I can't afford the test, but that would be neat to know!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenniferH
Hmm I had ancestors come over from England in 1635 so it's possible I have the immunity too. Is there some sort of test group that does it as a study so I don't have to pay for the test? It would be nice because I can't afford the test, but that would be neat to know!
My Grandfather was born in Britian, his mother was a British native, his father Irish....I wonder if Im immune...it would be very interesting to find out! Any ideas on how? Not exactly something you get tested for at the beginning of pregnancy blood work
:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingWombat
http://science.slashdot.org/article....&tid=99&tid=14

I can understand not wanting attention, but I think this JUST might be something to look into. Unless it's an identical twin/doppelganger hoax, in which case I hope they get what they deserve for perpetrating this.
I just want to be clear, the person claims to have cured HIV, not AIDS. I think it's important to be clear whether or not we're talking about HIV or AIDS. There are people who think that HIV does not cause AIDS and not all people with HIV acquire AIDS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.