Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am a little frustrated with AIO diapers at the moment. It seems whenever I have one I like, I use it for a while and then after a while, they start to wick.

Is there some special way I should be caring for PUL so it does not develop this problem or are AIO diapers just doomed for wicking?

I feel silly asking this, but I have tried AIO's on and off for the last 2 years and every single one has started to wick eventually, but I love them for going out and about, as they're quick and easy and trim-fitting. Help, please!

Thanks,
lizabird

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think most of the AIO's I've used are a PUL outer, but the PUL is a cotton or perhaps cotton-blend material with the PUL coating on the inside. I know this has a tendency to wick anyway, but they always start out working great and after several months of use, they start to wick.

We wash them when necessary (hot water, nonphosphate biodegradable detergent), and usually just hang them up to dry (unless DH dries them and he just throws everything in the dryer...
: )

DS sometimes pees lightly, sometimes in huge quantities.

-lizabird

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have several AIO's and I love them, but yes they do leak after a while.
The insert I got with the last batch says that PLU last about 4-5 months with regular use.
Drying and washing on hot with AIO's speeds the break down of the PLU.
Thats why most moms use separate cover, then when the cover is no longer working you just get another one.
I just use my AIO's as regular diapers after the cover goes and buy a few new ones.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizabird
I think most of the AIO's I've used are a PUL outer, but the PUL is a cotton or perhaps cotton-blend material with the PUL coating on the inside. I know this has a tendency to wick anyway, but they always start out working great and after several months of use, they start to wick.
I just don't buy those anymore. I've never met one that worked. If you stick to solid PUL outers (no prints or material on the outside) you won't have those problems.

You *can* use water proofing spray (sold in sporting goods section of stores), but the chemicals are really pretty toxic (for your baby, you and everything you wash in the same machine).

If you want more of a cuteness factor with plain PUL outers, you can look for embroidery or paint options.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I have a used AIO here (so I don't know the age) that does just fine, unless it gets really saturated (and that's to be expected since it's a side-snapping diaper with a cotton print on the outside - the tabs wick eventually). DS can't nap in it unless I add a preemie prefold in there, but for normal use, it's perfectly fine.

To keep PUL happy, putting it in the dryer on high heat once in a while is actually good for it. PUL likes dryers. It's the elastic used that doesn't like it so much.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I can never use print outer pul for long.. It seems to high maintence so now I only buy solid pul always and have never had a problem w/ solid pul

·
Registered
171 Posts
My kids are HEAVY wetters & i always use solid pul for that reason. I have tried others but no luck. When i want them dressed up i go for embroidery options. I've had some solid puls that last along time. I was surprised they lasted so long.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so maybe my DH putting everything in the dryer was a good thing after all

I have both solid and print PUL. All of the solids are polyester fabrics and most of the prints are cotton fabrics - and I haven't had time to make any new AIO's recently but I guess I need to try the solids more often (though the prints are so much prettier!)

That's encouraging to know that some AIO's are lasting so long too.

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.