Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In search of a suitable all in one. My babies are usually 8-9lbs at birth and 20lbs with big thighs and tummies at 4 months. I am absolutely in LOVE with BumGenius dipes, but after reading reviews am wondering if they'll work out? My two yr old is thirty lbs. So cute, roly poly babies, what do I use? I tried bumkins and kissaluvs, fuzzibunz with my last dd and she grew out of them fast, they leaked alot up her shirts (bumkins esp). what is there out there that is easy (AIO) and good for chunky babes (no red marks on thighs, etc).? Thanks! I really want to make this work this time around.

· Registered
10,121 Posts
I've used Thirsties Duo Wraps and really like them, but I've never tried the Duo AI2. Sounds like it could work, though! I'd personally be more likely to try it than BGs, since I know the wrap works well for us.

· Registered
192 Posts
My 2yo has chunky thighs (the only thing chunky on him!) and we have used the Thirsties duo, but we have to use doublers or something (same with the basic AIO) because he leaks horribly in them. The fit is great and I usually just lay a preemie prefold in it at the front and it doesn't change the bulk too much but keeps it from leaking everywhere every time he pees! (Thank goodness he pees more in the potty now than the dipes. lol)

I think the leg gussets are just easier on chunky thighs than regular elastic legs.

· Registered
518 Posts
My 2.5 yr old is 35 lbs of rolypoly and Blissful Booty AIO's are GREAT- I have less blowouts than I had with sposies. Now if only I can figure out how to get them clean in my front loader!!!

They are on ebay for $7 each and I use a doubler.

You should skip NB and start right with small I'm thinking. My baby is 3 months old tomorrow and ready for mediums.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. I just ordered a thirsties duo aio size two to try on my 2yr old dd. (My theory is that if it works on her chunkiness, it'll work for the next one also). I don't want leakage, for sure...I'm open to any pocket, aio type. I was excited about bg because I love the idea of one size, but now am wondering if that's plausible? The thirsties are a two size option which looks good to me. It just needs to be easy for dh to support the investment. (Not that he couldn't get it, he just wants it to be easy on ME.)

Keep 'em coming, ladies!

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still looking around and am planning on slowly trialling a few different types before making a decision. I already have a fuzzibunz (did I say that already?) which I like okay...
So if your babes are already chunky, how do you minimize bum size? (I'm thinking clothes here...how to cover the bum, lol.

· Registered
6,416 Posts
I'm watching this. I have a 29lb just turned 2 year old with that great big chunky belly and she doesn't fit into ANY clothing. It's all dresses for us. It's been a lifelong issue.
We need SOMETHING that works to contain her massive toddler pee AND fit under clothing.

· Registered
10 Posts
My "little chunker" (as we call her) is 17 months and 27 pounds, with a chubby round belly and chompable thighs. All the Bum Genius diapers fit her well (including the new Flips, which I have been loving ever since my well-used 3.0 One-Sizes started having velcro/leaking issues). We've been using them on the highest rise for a while now, even though that makes them go pretty high up on her back (which isn't a problem, just looks a little silly), but it makes them fit around her belly.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dh is agreeable to my ordering a couple dipes a month to try out, so I'll let you know what works for me, er dc, lol.
I've got a Thirsties duo ai2 on it's way. I'm planning on ordering some prefolds as well, too. (GMD convinced me)
I also want to try sckoon (not sure if that is AIO or OS?) but like the look and the fact that they're an affordable organic...i was really hoping to just have one type of dipe, OS, AIO, but now am wondering if that's really feasible? And I guess I'm okay with branching out at this point.

· Registered
20 Posts
My now 9 month old is 26 pounds (he's actually weighed that much for the past 3 months!) He and his older brother wear the BG organic AIO. It fits him perfect, and we've never had a leak, blowout or red marks from elastic!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.