Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, what is reasonable to expect from an AIO? I would love your opinions on both pocket style and especially "true" all in ones, with the soaker sewn in and absorbent fabrics inside.

Is it normal to have a tiny bit of wicking along the sides? (not enough to soak clothes, just a bit of wicking)

How long can you expect an AIO to perform without wicking?

Any particular combos/brands you suggest?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm looking into getting/making a few for my 2 year old! Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good question, I would like to know the same thing in general.

I do use Kooshier AIO sometimes at night with my 17m old. I add a doubler and some microfeece and she goes all night with no leaks or wisking. That is the only time I have used them.

Kim

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Depends on how the AIO is made - crotch width, materials used, etc. I can use a Fuzzi Bunz (pocket) with a hemp Joey Bunz insert (very very trim), and DS can go 3-4 hours without any wicking. A print pocket MAY not last quite as long. Solid colors are good for preventing wicking. If I need to go longer in that diaper, I double or triple stuff (this would be basically for nightime use where he goes 12-14 hours in one diaper).

I have a Luke's Drawers AIO with a velour snap-in soaker, and cotton print outer. This diaper goes 2-3 hours tops. Beyond that, and I start getting wicking along the tabs (it's side-snap, so the tabs are close to the soaker). Looking at the trimness of that velour soaker, I'm always amazed that it can go that long. It's only 2 pieces of velour sewn together, then tri-folded.

Diapers made with hemp will often be more absorbant than the same trimness in other materials.

I haven't tried a sewn-in soaker diaper (true AIO style). I like snap-in soakers myself. But for a true AIO with completely sewn in soaker (ie, not quick-dry) to be really absorbant, it'd probably end up being really difficult to clean/dry as well. So if you want to go a long time in an AIO, I suggest something with a quick-dry (sewn just in one or two places, but left 'open' to come away from the diaper in the wash/dryer) or snap-in soaker... or a pocket.

Also, if you have a heavy wetter, you won't be able to let them go as long in a single diaper, but that's true of ANY diaper you use (including sposies).

·
Registered
768 Posts
My son could wick through any WAHM AIO in one pee. It baffled me that people actually liked AIO's for the longest time. Truthfully I think no wicking is the only acceptable solution...especially when you're trying to show off with a snappy cute-print WAHM AIO!
OK, I really think it would be acceptable to wick if you went out of the house for a 2 hr playgroup and baby fell asleep for a 2 hr nap on the way home so he didn't get a change....then I could deal with a little wicking.
You really have to just try out several AIO's and see what works best. I've tried lots and only have a couple that work. Apparently some WAHM's work for some kids and others work for other kids. IMO a PUL outer is not necessarily a solution because I found that PUL actually wicks, too. Not as bad as a cotton print but my son could make an all PUL AIO wick. Seems like some colors of PUL wick worse than others. I know some folks swear by dipes like VB's but ds could make those wick in one pee even though they were all PUL!
(dd is insisting that I add a smiley and she picked this one!
)

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
My Bumkins wick after 2 pees. They're flannel inside with a quick-dry soaker section. My Kushies last a bit longer, but not much. So an hour, tops. I found with my oldest that the fleece outer, hidden PUL layer AIO's worked better. Adding doublers just adds bulk to the crotch which encourages wicking between the legs. I don't think, IMO, that AIO's are any different than a fitted with cover, just more convenient.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello....

To me any daytime wicking is UNAcCEPTABLE!!!! I like FCB aio's, very baby, rumpsters & LHC. I have no leasking issues & great amount of wetting in them. My 2 are SUPER SOAKERS!!! I always use the VB with the lay in as well. Rumpsters are very trim, i can use them overnight with an extra doubler inside since they fan open. The LHC are alittle thick U& bulky but SO soft & great.

As far as performance... We go anywear from 2 hours to overnight with our changes. Sometimes a 4 hour shopping trip plus driving time we still no leaks!! I do not like any other aio's other then what i mentioned above. I know their are other great ones out their i'm sure but i no longet try them. I stick to what works for my 2 lil ones...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.