Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br><br>
I want to buy an air filter but am not sure which is best. I have done a little research but was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.<br><br>
What about the Ionic Breeze? Is it as effective as the HEPA filter? Mostly I want this for dust, molds, etc. But if it had VOC protection as well, that would be a bonus. The reason I ask about the Ionic Breeze is b/c it is silent.<br><br>
I looked at a Honeywell HEPA QuietCare with CPZ (carbon filter to capture some VOC's) but it is still somewhat loud.<br><br>
Do I need to run this all day in the bedroom even if I'm not home? Or can I turn in on a couple hours before I go to sleep?<br><br>
Thanks for your input.<br><br>
--Jennifer

·
Registered
25 Posts
We just researched and bought some purifiers this weekend, so I can give you our experience. We were so frustrated by the lack of good information out there about the positives and negatives of the different types of purifiers that we decided to set up our own little experiment and buy one sharper image "ionic breeze" and one standard HEPA type (with the carbon filter too). So far, here's what we think:<br><br>
The Ionic Breeze is totally, completely silent. Very cool. It's easy to clean and very sleek and unobtrusive looking, so it gets big style points. BUT (and for me this is a BIG but) it smells. Dh doesn't notice it so much, but I do and it really turns me off -- it's kind of an electronic sort of smell mixed with wet dog, just nasty. And to make it worse, if you read in the small print, it says not to use any essential oils when it's on, so I can't even cover the smell with my diffuser. So it's either going to go back to the store, or get used in the basement where the smell won't bother me so much.<br><br>
On the other hand, the HEPA purifier is loud, no doubt about it, even though I bought one that advertised as being the quietest of the bunch. But I love the nice, clean, fresh-smelling air that pumps out of it. So we're going to stick with this one, running it in the bedroom during the day and the rest of the house at night. I think it's going to be a nice solution for us. It's also waaaaay cheaper than the ionic breeze. I also like that it doesn't produce any ozone, just in case that turns out to be a bad thing.<br><br>
So there's our experience, for what it's worth.<br><br>
Good luck!<br>
Amy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amy,<br><br>
Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I experienced too. I cannot find any info on pros and cons...it just isn't out there. That's why I am posing this question.<br><br>
That is interesting about the Ionic...I am very sensitive to smells as well and that one seems as if it would make me sick to my stomach.<br><br>
The one I'm thinking about has the voc filter as well but rated a little lower on the speed rating (can't remember what that is named). Maybe I should go with the higher rated one?<br><br>
Hmm...

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Amy,<br><br>
Which HEPA air cleaner do you have? I need to get a few and am looking for recommendations. I have a small Honeywell in the bedroom, but it's a number of years old and is about cashed.<br><br>
I also have an Ionic Breeze in the bedroom. Ds' dad was just telling me that he read a report the other day stating the Ionic Breeze's claims about cleaning the air had been proven false - that they really don't do a whole lot. I'm not sure where he read this, so don't know if it's valid, but will look into it when I have the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is so silly, but I can't even remember which of the HEPA purifiers we ended up getting... I checked so many out, but could not figure out how to compare them, and I got so befuddled with all the claims they each had of being the best, that finally I pretty much just went to Target, closed my eyes, and picked one. I think it starts with an "H" -- maybe holmes, or honeywell, or hughes or something? I have no idea if it's any good, or how it would compare to any others, and honestly it makes me wonder if they're not all just exactly the same. At any rate, it's medium-priced and says it's good for 300 square feet, which is about all I remember about it right now.<br><br>
Sorry I can't be more helpful -- it's really just too frustrating.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is some info about ozone from the Mayo Clinic. Looks like you did the right thing by not keeping the ozone cleaner!<br><br>
.<a href="http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=0B689DAB-0061-4909-8DA7ED35EA5FFE40" target="_blank">http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...A7ED35EA5FFE40</a><br><br>
Ozone filters and asthma<br><br>
Are ozone or ion air filters OK for people with asthma?<br>
--Ryan / Minnesota<br><br>
Ozone generators are often sold as air filters. Ozone is a molecule made up of three atoms of oxygen. Two atoms form the basic oxygen molecule — the oxygen we breathe. The third atom can detach from the ozone molecules and reattach to molecules of other substances, changing their chemical makeup. This is the basis of manufacturers' claims that ozone "purifies" the air.<br>
Ozone doesn't remove dust and pollen particles from the air. And, inhaled ozone can damage tissue. Even in low concentrations it can cause:<br>
Chest pain<br>
Coughing<br>
Shortness of breath<br>
Throat irritation<br>
Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma.<br><br>
Ozone has been widely used for water purification. But ozone reacts differently with water than it does with air. Some ozone generators have an ionizer in the same unit. An ionizer is a device that disperses ions into the air. These ions attach to particles in the air, causing them to attach to nearby surfaces or to each other and settle out of the air. Studies show that ionizers aren't as effective as high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters or electrostatic filters in removing particles of dust, tobacco smoke, pollen or fungal spores.<br>
The best way to improve indoor air quality is to:<br>
Keep humidity below 40 percent.<br>
Run a central air conditioning system during summer months that uses filters.<br>
Keep windows closed during pollen season.<br>
Free-standing room air purifiers aren't as effective as filters integrated into a home's central air conditioning and heating system

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi. We bought a Faust air filter a few months ago. It is not silent, but the sound does not bother me. It uses charcoal to filter the air and is made of stainless steel, not plastic. It has a *unique* look to it, round and shiny silver and black. You can see it at, <a href="http://www.faust.com." target="_blank">www.faust.com.</a> I was limited in my options living in Japan. I don`t have central heat/AC. I keep the humidity above 40% for cold prevention. It is confusing. Good luck.<br>
Kathryn

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Thanks for all this info. My daughter has what we suspect are allergies as she has been "stuffed up most of her breastfeed nonvaccinated infant life.... and so we bought an AirSource from Shaklee.... ionizer/ozone producing.... couldn't get an answer from anyone if it filterd voc's/noxious gases...... Anyway, My 11 mos old ended up hospitalized and dx with asthma, and my 4 yo has been having chest pain and wheezing. I have been having chest pain and wheezing late at night when I'm sewing in the room where the filter sits......<br><br>
The link to the Mayo clinic sight helped me put the puzzle peices together. The Airsource has been turned off and is being shipped back tomoorrow.<br><br>
Thanks! Michelle

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
WOW i thought the ones from Shaklee were good things and what about a FLAIR? I have one of these I shut it off till i research more.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Well i turned mine off and will stay off. I have only had it since thanksgiving. I have used for a good while on and off I AM praying I didnt do any damage to my children i am really worried now about it. I am calling hte rep that sold it to me tomorrow and telling him i am unhappy with it and see if i can get my money back since i havent had it that long. YOu know when i bought it i read and read and could find anything on it i was lookin in the wrong places<br>
Do you think i have harmed my kids? How long will it take for the ozone to be out of my house? UGGGHH<br>
Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bumping this thread because I am looking at all sorts of air purifiers this week. DH has really really bad allergies and I've got to get him feeling better. SO far it looks like a Hepa Filter Purifier is the way to go. Which one, there are SO many!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts