Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11669227/

Quote:
LONDON - A British Airways worker has lost an internal appeal against the company's refusal to let her wear a Christian cross over her uniform, BA said on Monday.

Check-in staffer Nadia Eweida was told in October she must not display a small necklace crucifix over her clothes. She was instead instructed to hide it under her blouse or cravat.

The 55-year-old had appealed the decision, arguing she should be entitled to openly proclaim her Christian faith.
I feel strongly that she should be able to show it off if she wants. I have no idea how religious protection works foreign though.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I think it's smart not to allow religious symbols visible to customers, if for no other reason their her own safety. There are some whackjobs out there who have no problem persecuting people based on their religion (who knew?) - I won't wear pentacles or anything that can be construed as pagan in public, not in this day and age.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I don't think companies should be able to restrict someone's expression of their faith, or lack of, unless it DIRECTLY interferes with their job. I don't see how this would directly interfere with her job.

As for safety, if she is willing to accept the danger (which is probably small) of wearing the crucifix, then shouldn't she be able to?

I wonder what their motivation was... was it for public safety, or to avoid offending other passengers?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
This is a good thing; faith has no place in the workplace. I remember how startled I was one day when I noticed a small cross hanging from a co-workers neck. Of course, I was even more startled by the copious amount of cleavage behind it.
:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilary Briss View Post
This is a good thing; faith has no place in the workplace. I remember how startled I was one day when I noticed a small cross hanging from a co-workers neck. Of course, I was even more startled by the copious amount of cleavage behind it.
:
Why shouldn't faith be in the work place? It can certainly lead to arguments (and has for me on more than one occasion). But what about religions that encourage things like scarves or whatever? Can't hide those as well...

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
She knew the rule before hand and she broke it. Her religion does not require her to wear the cross. My company has a "no visible piercings" policy, I'm not going to go get my nose pierced and then raise a fuss when I get fired over it.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
ITA with the judge on this one.

I personally think the airline's policy is stupid, and there's no harm in her wearing the cross, but the company DOES have the right to enforce a dress code.

Her religious freedom was NOT being impinged by not being allowed to wear the cross. If she's likening this to a Jewish or Muslim woman covering her hair, then she completely misunderstands the issue. Not being permitted to cover the hair impinges on religious expression- it forces a woman to choose between going in public "half naked" or not going out in public at all. It's not about "expressing pride in our religion" it's about not being persecuted for following it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

This is a good thing; faith has no place in the workplace.
Just curious, what about wedding bands with religious symbols and/or inscriptions? Should those be banned in the workplace?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I can see this thread is going to be a doozy.

Okay. She works for an airline. They have a dress code which dictates what is appropriate for the job. I know for a fact that US Airways has directives on hair length for men, beards and moustaches for men, skirt lengths for women and what your uniform should consist of. They are very strict.

Personally I feel that if you don't like the rules, don't take the job.

I have people of the Sikh community at the airport working dressed as dictated by the laws of their faith. I have seen Jews at the airport dressed as dictated by the laws of their faith. Covering is not a choice for many of the world's faiths. It is about modesty.

Nowhere in Christianity does it say yo must wear a cross or an emblem. It is a choice.

I feel that the loss of the appeal is appropriate. British Airways has rules and they are following them.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
Why shouldn't faith be in the work place? It can certainly lead to arguments (and has for me on more than one occasion). But what about religions that encourage things like scarves or whatever? Can't hide those as well...
But she took a job with a strict dress code. If she wants to work somewhere else that is a bit looser, then she has the right to wear what she pleases at that location.

I spend around 6 months doing City Year and they have a stiff dress code. I knew that when I got there. I didn't like it, but that was where I worked, so I did what I had to do.

As a Buddhist, I liked to wear two malas on one wrist and they frowned on that, so my answer was to get a mala tattooed on and then it wouldn't could as two separate bracelets (as was their policy)....

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
I think it's smart not to allow religious symbols visible to customers, if for no other reason their her own safety. There are some whackjobs out there who have no problem persecuting people based on their religion (who knew?) - I won't wear pentacles or anything that can be construed as pagan in public, not in this day and age.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
She knew the rule before hand and she broke it. Her religion does not require her to wear the cross. My company has a "no visible piercings" policy, I'm not going to go get my nose pierced and then raise a fuss when I get fired over it.
If it was a Coptic Cross...then it is highly probable that she is Orthodox...Orthodox Christians DO wear crosses...it is something they do, that is VERY important to them...even the children do. I agree that she couldve put it under her shirt...I do that anyway..as I dont like doing things that bring undue attention to myself.

There is a big difference between a nose piercing and something that is HIGHLY significant to a person and their faith.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I also wanted to say that many Coptic Orthodox actually have the cross tattooed onto their forehead or wrists...it is "that" important to them
(but I do still hold to what I said before about wearing it under her shirt)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Because it is offensive to people of other faiths or no faiths. If she wants to wear a cross while she works, she should become a nun in a convent.
:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alana View Post
If it was a Coptic Cross...then it is highly probable that she is Orthodox...Orthodox Christians DO wear crosses...it is something they do, that is VERY important to them...even the children do. I agree that she couldve put it under her shirt...I do that anyway..as I dont like doing things that bring undue attention to myself.

There is a big difference between a nose piercing and something that is HIGHLY significant to a person and their faith.
The article said Christian cross, so I'm ASSuming it's just a run-of-the-mill cross you can find just about anywhere.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
The article said Christian cross, so I'm ASSuming it's just a run-of-the-mill cross you can find just about anywhere.
If I remember correctly from a previous article it was a Coptic Cross.

I wasn't sure about the significance (well, I knew it was associated with Orthodoxy) but if it is more "mandated" than in other Christian sects, that could alter my opinion on the subject.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts