Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid questions, but. . . will breastmilk be harmed if it is sent thru the x-ray maching at the airport security checkpoint? I understand you can take unlimited quantities in your carry-on as long as it is declared. Does it still need to go through the x-ray machine?<br><br>
Quick replies appreciated as I am leaving today and will be returning tomorrow with breastmilk.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think it does have to go through the Xray. I don't believe it would harm anything. The dose of radiation is similar (I've been told) to getting an X ray, so it shouldn't even harm the cellular elements. It's not like the dose used to irradiate donated blood or anything. You can call the TSA to get specifics on level of radiation and ask specifically if there's a way to get it through without the X ray. Honestly, everytime I've called the hotline, they've been pretty polite and helpful.<br><br>
OT-We sent an especially fiesty cat through the X ray (wouldn't advise it- we got in trouble) to avoid having to take him out of the carrier. He is fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts