1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I used to live near HSV and am appalled. They apparently are unaware, but there is a federal law that says that anywhere a mother and her baby are allowed to be, that mother is allowed to breastfeed her baby. It was actually in an old old issue of Mothering, which is where I saw it. I will definitely be raising the roof on this one!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i wasn't even aware that this had happened or that early works had such a hideous policey. a museum that promotes "times of yore" should definitely be doing everything possible to promote breastfeeding.

thanks for posting this, Kay. something is going to happen.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
That cracked me up..I wish my dd was still nursing, as it is I am preggo with #2 and dd weaned herself. YUMMY YUCKY!!! is what her face said. due in june...Or may be i could just pull my shirt up and pretend to nurse her?????????????????
HAHAHAHA!! Those people wouldnt know what hit them...Keep me posted!!!!!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was actually on my way to take my son Early Works this weekend when dh made a comment about the bf ing momma asked to go to an isolated area. Somehow, I had heard nothing of it. I decided not to go and to write a letter instead.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
well, i was able to send them my comments/questions yesterday morning when inquiring about general info under "contact us" and it went through. i'm curious to see if they respond or what they say.

i saw all the pro breastfeeding responses on the WAFF (hated joining but i wanted to get my response in-i'm nordic skier) and was so encouraged. but after seeing the other mothering discussion thread i find out half of the pro's (or more?) are from out of state. but, i did recognize some local names. i did not bother reading the stuff from the really ignorant butts. not worth my time.

this is a backwards state, but Alabama needs moms like us. eventually the balance will tip back the other way. there are alot more enlightened people out there then you know. And great job to Amy Heflin for bringing her story to news. I bet Early Works found out how many of their customers (or potential customers) are more offended by the breastfeeding policy then by breastfeeding.

i think something good is coming from this. But, i have a rep for being optimistic.

hang tough, pro-nursing Alabama mama's!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Summertime Mommy
Ugh, did you read the comments on the message board? I really hate this stupid state.

Yes, I did. My favorite was the mom who "didn't want to have to explain that to her daughter" WTF??? You don't want her to know the true function of her anatomy???

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm from Huntsville and can empathize w/ your frustration!!!!!!!!! We're in Atlanta now which is more progressive for the south anyway....If I can get around to it w/ a sick kid..I'll give complaints too!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

meg

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I know this thread is old, but quite a few of us know about it and are outraged. There is a pretty active and very supportive Yahoo group called Alabama Breastfeeding that some of you might want to check out. Just after I moved here from PA last summer, the group organized a nurse- out at a local mall and we have plans on doing monthly meetings and playgroups. Please check it out if you can....

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...Breastfeeding/

We are always discussing this sort of thing and several moms are homebirthers, extended nursers, AP type parents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I grew up down there in Huntsville. I've been to Early Works once, but didn't have to breastfeed while there.

Even with the breastfeeding issue set aside, the museum sucked.

My family is also very good friends with Congressman Bud Cramer. I MIGHT be able to get him involved if need be.

I'm rarely on Mothering (or in Huntsville), but let me know if I can do anything by sending me an email at [email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.