Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I know this is a broader than our DDC subject, but I trust you ladies's opinions, so i'm interested to know.... what stance do you take?

I read in another thread some of you talking about stella (mmmmm.... my favourite!) but do you think alcohol is ok while nursing?? Do you have a limit / time frame??

· Registered
4,890 Posts
I'm not drinking yet... but I don't have a problem with some alcohol while breastfeeding. Not simultaneously though

Especially in the early stages of nursing (aka, what seems like all the dang time!), if I were to have a drink of something, I would try to drink immediately after bfing to increase the length of time that passes after alcohol and before the next feeding...

· Registered
263 Posts
Here in France (and most of Europe) wheat beer (I think Hoegaarden is probably best known internationally) is recommended to improve your milk supply! I think judybean's suggestion of drinking right after a feed is probably a good one
! I read something about a 2h wait between drinking and feeding.

I picked up a box of Grimbergen Blanche today

I probably wouldn't have very much (less than 1/2 a beer), especially the first few times, and I would definitely eat as I drank to reduce the alcoholic effects. But yes, my plan is to drink and make milk.

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I will have up to 1 drink (I rarely finish one since having kids because I always end up having to do something and it gets warm and gross) and I will wait until after baby has eaten - even better if I can time it for after baby has gone down for the night since on a good night that will be our longest stretch between feedings.

· Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I drink while breastfeeding (any time) but monitor my intake. I feel okay about it as long as I don't feel drunk.

· Registered
383 Posts
I'll be drinking in moderation and breastfeeding too. My doctor recommended that I drink some red wine for the health benefits after my postpartum blood transfusion. I think the key is not to get drunk. If you're worried about it though you can buy strips that test for the alcohol content in your breast-milk at Babies R Us or online. And if you do end up having to much to drink, pump it and dump it.

That said, I would not be worried in the least about having a beer with dinner.

· Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
I drink while breastfeeding (any time) but monitor my intake. I feel okay about it as long as I don't feel drunk.
Same here. I think the new 'rule' is that if you're okay to drive, you're okay to breastfeed. Alcohol enters and leaves the milk supply same as it does the blood stream, so no need to pump and dump either.

· Registered
1,015 Posts
i feel very strongly that alcohol while bf'ing in moderation is perfectly fine. i had 3 LCs tell me to have a good beer or red wine with dd1 when i was having trouble getting her to latch. i also read tons of detailed articles about just how much alcohol goes into the breastmilk vs hours that pass (can't recall the exact calculation but could look it up again if need be) & I feel comfortable having 2 glasses of wine or 2 beers, with food, over the course of an evening in the beginning stages.

Risking being slammed...but I even feel comfortable having 2-4 drinks over the course of many hours once my babes are older too. Always with food & tons of water in between...I am not a thin girl & can easily handle a few without feeling drunk at all.

linchi-mmmmm...hoegaarden is yummy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.