Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a mother, I should be the last person to defend a father who calls his daughter a "pig" and screams at her because she didn't answer the phone. Except that what bothers me about this whole ordeal from the start is that the mother reportedly decided to leak the tape to the press, to secure an advantage in her battle with her ex husband.<br><br>
How can a mother do that?<br><br>
I don't excuse Baldwin for his anger. He has fought his butt of for visitation rights for his daughter and Kim has fought back every step of the way. He should have just hung up before he exploded on his daughter's voicemail, but he didn't.<br><br>
But does the world need to know?<br><br>
That poor little girl. Imagine if you were that little girl, or that she was yours. How do you think it feels to be her this week, to have everyone looking at you differently, to be the center of this kind of attention? And that part isn't her father's fault. It's her mother's.<br><br>
If my family is ever in this situation, and my children have a message like this left for them, I know what I would do. I think it is what most mothers would do. Erase it, and find out what is going on befor I let him near the kids again.<br><br>
The point is not that you owe a duty to protect exes from looking like beasts. The point is that we owe a duty to our children to protect them from being eaten alive because of our problems. No one forces you to have children or make you stay married, but if you choose to have kids and get divorced, it shouldn't just be the courts who are concerned with the "best interests" of the children. The primary responsibility belongs to the parents, both of them.<br><br>
The child here never needed to hear the message. But not only did she get the hear it, the world did, over and over.<br><br>
In the end, releasing the tape may not help Basinger as much as she'd hoped. It seems pretty clear that she is not making much effort to abide by agreement and make her daughter available for her dad's calls and visits. It seems pretty clear that this drives him mad.<br><br>
You driver him crazy, he explodes, you make the public the explosion, and then what? Does that prove you are a good mother? Not in my book.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Do we all know for sure that she is the one that leaked it? Last I hear it was suspected that Ireland was the one that actually leaked the tape.<br>
As far as Kim Vs Alec, I have no doubt that both are screwed in the head. He is more obvious about it, but I think Kim probably has issues too. What does concern me though is that everyone is now focused on this whole "parental alienation" cr*p that Alec spouts off about, and Kim, due to what I am sure is a solid gag order, is probably not allowed to refute his diatribe and say WHY she is alienating her daughter from her Ex-DH. Was he abusive to her? Was he abusive to Ireland? Does she fear for her daughter's safety? I think these are all valid questions and the answers to all are probably yes. So the general public only sees that Alec never gets to visit his daughter when in reality, Ireland is potentially being kept out of harms way. Alec has most certainly proven his capability to be an abuser. I don't believe for one second that he is the poor victim of parental alienation that he claims to be. And we as a general public have no clue what really went on behind closed doors in that relationship. When Kim (or Ireland) steps forward and says :" Alec was never abusive, I am not afraid for Irelands safety" then I will believe what he says.<br><br>
Namaste,<br><br>
Michelle

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
I agree with wytchywoman, and I've also seen suggestions that the daughter herself leaked the tape. It is possible that Ireland is horrified by the media attention, but it is just as possible that she feels relief and redemption for finally having her side of the story validated. We just don't know who leaked the tape and how Ireland feels about it--that is all speculation--but we DO know what Alec Baldwin did, so I refuse to feel bad for him. I have been the verbally abused child and I would have given anything for a tape of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts