Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at All About Spelling (http://www.all-about-spelling.com/) based on recommendations from various sources. It sounds like a neat approach and I like the idea (as I understand it) that my 2 DSs can both work on it at the same level (they're K and 2nd).

Reading the description on the site's opening page, though, I'm wondering if it is better for kids who have trouble with spelling, or if it's good for even those who generally do well with it. My 7yo is a voracious reader, but isn't always confident that he knows how to spell (he does very well, in general, but does occasionally mix up certain types of phonograms). My 4yo is not spelling a ton, but quickly and confidently learning.

So, is this a "perfect for everyone" kind of program, or is it better for kids who need a real boost with spelling?

Thanks!
Heather

· Registered
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aw, c'mon! Surely someone has some input! Bumping from the depths!

· Registered
5,264 Posts
hi heather,

just wanted to bump this for you. i know there are mamas that use this program here.

we don't use AAS, but i have never read a bad thing about it. most users seem to be very pleased with it.

fwiw - if i were to invest in a spelling program, i'd probably buy spellwell. it's cheap and also gets good reivews.

· Registered
940 Posts
I wish I could answer your question, we do use AAS, but we've only just started so I can't really say how it works yet.

Ds1 is 5 yrs and so far he's been doing well. We've only done a couple of lessons though. We weren't doing any spelling before. I just started using this as a supplement to phonics.

Maybe some others here with more experience with the program will chime in.

· Registered
8,113 Posts
We use AAS; we started back in the early spring. I love it. Both my older two are using it, though they go at different paces (ds#1 - 8 yo - is a little more than half way through level 2 and ds#2 - 5 1/2 yo - is almost done with level 1). From my experience, it is good for all kids. My boys are both still learning to read (ds#1 is making huge improvements) and I think the spelling program is helping that. But, I also see it is doing huge things for their writing/spelling. Yesterday ds#1 was making a birthday card for dh and he was drawing off so much of what he has learned in AAS to do it.

The program is very sequential (I think that's a good word for it - it goes step by step starting with the most common sounds/usage) and can be sped up (ds#1 usually does a lesson a day; once in a while we'll take 2 days on a lesson especially if we missed a day of spelling; whereas, ds#2 usually spends at least 2 days on a lesson if not more, especially if the next lesson is a bit more complex) or slowed down as you need. It can be completely non-written (just using the tiles - and I do recommend 1 set of tiles per kiddo) or can include a written portion (there are dictation suggestions for each lesson). Personally, I highly recommend it as we have seen great results thus far (I loved it so much I went ahead and bought all the published levels).

· Registered
819 Posts
There is a huge 8-page thread about AAS right now on WTM boards that keeps getting bumped up all week. I'm learning a lot from reading that.

We're using it and love it, but we're just starting to learn to read and we're on lesson 11 of AAS. I cannot believe how much my daughter has blossomed with it, she is writing letters all the time.

I would definitely recommend starting with your 4 year old. I wish I had started earlier, when she was first learning to read, the first level is so easy, but we're getting used to the program, so I'm okay with that.

The first levels have very simple words. If you do use it with your 7 year old, go through the first levels fast. If your 7 year old already knows all the spelling rules, I would say you wouldn't need it. But if he wants the confidence like it sounds like, this would help.

The cons are that it is slow-moving and expensive. Even at 4 years old, I use my own judgement, and if she already knows the particular section, we skip it or move through it quickly. As for expensive, you can find it used. Because I know we're going to use it from the very beginning with my daughter, and hopefully with a few more children, I think the cost is justified for our family.

You can view the scope and sequence of each level (scroll way down each level page) on their website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.