Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading something the other day about a joke shared between Chirac and Bush...something about how the food here stacks up to French cooking, and how Chirac really liked his cheeseburger. Now, I'm not supposing he went to Carls' Jr for a happy star burger or whatever, but I was thinking, is this what I would serve someone as an example of all American food? (Not that the cheeseburger was served as such). Also, I seem to remember something about Rattlesnake Chili being served in the international village at the winter Olympics in Utah as an example of American food.<br>
So, what's your favorite 'all American' dish?<br><br>
Some ideas I had:<br><br>
Nice, juicy BLT with a home-grown tomato<br><br>
Chili (hold the snake)<br><br>
Sweet corn with butter<br><br>
Chicken Pot Pie<br><br>
Pumpkin Pie<br><br>
BBQ chicken, prefferably served with potato salad<br><br>
Ballpark Franks

·
Registered
516 Posts
Watermelon<br>
PB & J<br>
Peach Pie<br><br>
I'm hoping I'm right in thinking these are All American...<br><br>
Also, ice cream cones, with ice cream of course.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy<br><br>
Traditional Thanksgiving Turkey dinner...roast turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, fresh rolls and autumn vegetables.<br><br>
Strawberry shortcake<br><br>
Chicken soup<br><br>
BBQ Chicken with rice a roni and cole slaw and rolls

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Anything with popcorn or cranberries<br>
any pie--not only apple, there are so many American pies!<br>
pancakes with maple syrup<br>
fiddlehead ferns (in season)<br>
frybread<br>
shad roe (no, I've never had it either!)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foods that originated here are great, but I'm also including on my list foods that just feel American to me, so to my list add: Pepperoni pizza, spaghetti with meatballs (or meat sauce). Biscuits and country gravy...oh man I'm hungry.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Okay, there are a lot of dishes that originated here, even though the ingredients or the cuisines are from somewhere else. For example, fortune cookies and chop suey. Also gumbo.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Tuna noodle casserole! And the casserole in general...I mean, y'know, the kind with crushed-up potato chips on top and a "cream-of" soup as the base...:LOL<br><br>
~nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts