Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a sage bush growing, it's green with little purple flowers all over it, and a lavender bush. They have grown positively gargantuous over the past few years and i just trimmed them back. So now i have two huge piles of lavender, and two huge piles of sage. I have bundled them and tied them with string at the bottom, and hung them up in my house. I am thinking there should be a use for these, after they have dried.

So I have two issues. First, is how do you dry herbs? Am i doing it right? Or will they fall all apart and make my floor messy?

And then, once they are dry, what can i do with them? Gift ideas?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hi, Heather!

Hanging herbs upside down is the most recommended method of drying. To avoid having a messy floor, you can put a paper bag over the herbs, tie it closed and then hang it up. Not so pretty then, but it works. I have dried some herbs- lavender, Bee Balm- upright in a vase.

Just curious- your sage with purple flowers- do you know it's botanical name? Sage is a common name used for several different types of plants. "Sage" could refer to Artemisia, Salvia, Perovskia and most likely others too!
:

As far as gifts, I like Lavender wands but I have not made them.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Salvia!
The sage is the last pictured. And those wands are a great idea, i'm adding it to my favorites.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Cool! Just wanted to tell you that I have dried Russian Sage- Perovskia- up right in a vase. It stays pretty for years!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts