Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is 18 mos. and for about two months we've been dealing with a full body rash. Our docter diagnosed it as atopic dermatitis. He said it was most likely not allergy related but due to her very fair skin. Okay, that might be it, and this might be unrelated, but... This afternoon I made my daughter a small bowl of applesauce. I put cinnamon in it (which she has had before, just not a lot). After about three bites (maybe a minute or less) she broke out in hives all over her face and throat. I called the doctor, they said to watch out for an anaphylactic reaction etc... but the didn't tell me they wanted to do any tests or anything, just to avoid cinnamon. Now with each by themselves, I wouldn't be too worried about doing further tests, but since she has the unexplained full body rash and has now reacted pretty badly to a food, I really would feel more comfortable if he at least sent us to an allergy doctor. Do you think I'm being paranoid? What questions would you ask the pediatrician? Is a kid with one food allergy more likely to have others? Do you think the rash might be from a food allergy? thanks for any help.
Courey

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
IME, eczema is ALWAYS due to a food allergy! My sister's dermatologist told her that her ds2 had eczmena b/c he had fair sensitive skin, that he didn't have allergies. She had him allergy tested at 2 years old and he's allergic to eggs, peanuts, oats and some other things. She cut those things out of his diet adn no more eczema!

On the downside, allergy tests aren't always very accurate until the child is over 2. My nephew was tested at 12 mos adn everything came up neg. Then at 2 he tested pos to a bunch of things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.