Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone allergic to alpaca ? I am starting to wonder if I am. I have noticed that whenever I work with it I get headaches and my eyes bother me. This is really strange, as I have no other allergies that I know of. Originally I thought I may just have been using dusty yarn, but it is happening consistently every time I use alpaca. I just started an alpaca sweater too! Time to rethink this pattern.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I know someone who has the same reaction to alpaca yarn; she found out the hard way, having spent over $100 on some wonderful alpaca for a sweater for herself.
She had an itchy runny nose, and itchy hands.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
My knitting teacher is. We were looking at Alpaca yarn last week and she complained it was bothering her eyes. I wonder if it is the way it is processed?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me it seems like it sheds so much that I am breathing it in & it is getting in my eyes. The headaches are horrible. And it's too bad bc I love alpaca and actually was hoping to learn more about Alpacas & spinning their fibers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Wow, I have never hear of alpaca allergies. We have alpacas and I am sure glad we don't have allergies as we love them so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.