Mothering Forum banner

Allergic to alpaca yarn???

7864 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Buddhamom
Is anyone allergic to alpaca ? I am starting to wonder if I am. I have noticed that whenever I work with it I get headaches and my eyes bother me. This is really strange, as I have no other allergies that I know of. Originally I thought I may just have been using dusty yarn, but it is happening consistently every time I use alpaca. I just started an alpaca sweater too! Time to rethink this pattern.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Yes, I am. I get headaches and a runny nose every time.
Not alpaca but mohair REALLY bothers me.
See less See more
I know someone who has the same reaction to alpaca yarn; she found out the hard way, having spent over $100 on some wonderful alpaca for a sweater for herself.
She had an itchy runny nose, and itchy hands.
See less See more
My knitting teacher is. We were looking at Alpaca yarn last week and she complained it was bothering her eyes. I wonder if it is the way it is processed?
For me it seems like it sheds so much that I am breathing it in & it is getting in my eyes. The headaches are horrible. And it's too bad bc I love alpaca and actually was hoping to learn more about Alpacas & spinning their fibers.
Wow, I have never hear of alpaca allergies. We have alpacas and I am sure glad we don't have allergies as we love them so much!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.