Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my son is allergic to something that would be in blue "juice" sold in little containers that the grand parents give him
: how many hours later could I expect him to be going off the deep end, completely melting down, screaming, crying, arching, throwing himself on the floor and banging his head?

I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE, I'M GOING TO GO TO THE PSYCH WARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Gosh I'm so sorry sounds like an awful day for you and your son. The high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavor, and food dyes really can do a number on kids can't they. Usually my son suffers the effects within an hour or two if he gets sugar and artificial stuff, and becomes on the edge in case any little thing doesn't go his way. A change of environment, a little time, and a nap help to undo it, and if possible getting high protein high fat real foods into him to balance it (nuts/peanut butter or meat generally help).

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Give him a bunch of vit C. Even benedryl is better than mama going crazy. Of course it has corn...

Onset here is within 30 minutes, lasts fewer than 6 hours, with Red #40. And yes, I too want to run screaming down the road...

Pat

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Ah, yes, blue doesn't usually come without HFCS!!

Can you get him outside? Ds feels much less OVERWHELMING (to me) outside, rather than inside, bouncing off the four walls.

Also, some Rescue Remedy helps a lot, ime. I take it.

Pat

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the rescue remedy as well, and yes, have used it for him. He had the blue juice yesterday and I'm not sure if that was the problem or not. It was actually relatively short lived. I sort of rubbed him down, it seemed to help a bit.

I used to work in the psych ward for 4.5 years, so I know they'd take good care of me there, lol!

~Tracy

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Blue was ds1's least obvious reaction, it sometimes took a full day before he reacted and the reaction was less nuclear (and usually shorter) than the other food dyes.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post

I used to work in the psych ward for 4.5 years, so I know they'd take good care of me there, lol!

~Tracy
You know you are having a challenging day when...

the local psych ward sounds relaxing.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.