Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my son to the allergist yesterday and I thought that he would do the tests but I have to go to a special lab for it...I called today and the woman was less than comforting...she says "5m! That's young, hope we could find a vein...you'll want Phyllis that other girl I don't know about her" WTF! Find a vein, I thouhgt it was just a heal stick? How the heck do you find a vein in an infant they don't sit still! I'm totally freaking out! I normally don't go to appt w/needles alone b/c I can't bear and cry to hard so DH comes along...so it looks like I am going to postpone getting him checked until this weekend when DH can come...

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
They need several vials to test with. My dd just had testing for peanut and soy (at age 2) and they took 2 vials.<br><br>
Also, at 5m the tests aren't really accurate.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
allergy tests are EXTREMELY unreliable, and even MORE unreliable if done under 5 years of age. my 11 month old son would guaranteed test negative to milk/soy/ wheat/gluten, yet he is intolerant to all of these foods. intolerances are SERIOUS, but they are not detected through standard "tests", and many doctors do not truly understand intolerances and their complexities. i dont know if i showed you, but here is a good article that talks about allergies and intolerances, and what they do to the GI tract.<br><a href="http://home.vicnet.net.au/~disa/Food%20intol-alergic%20baby.html" target="_blank">http://home.vicnet.net.au/~disa/Food...ic%20baby.html</a>

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Sorry to hear that you might have a little one with allergies. My Claire has 16 different food allergies. She was diagnosed at 5 months with a blood test. Yes, you do need to do a blood draw from the vein because then need 5-10 ml of blood. It really isn't as bad as you think it might be. They have to hold the arm straight, but after they released her arm she was just fine. We were still nursing at that point so I nursed her right away afterwards for comfort. It only takes a minute. They'll use a vein in the arm. And you are quite in your parental rights to ask for someone who is used to drawing blood from an infant. Claire had a student for her first blood draw, but I didn't realize it until she was done (and had done a great job, too)<br><br>
Do you know what allergy panel they ordered? Are you suspicious of any foods in particular? We did a comprehensive food panel and then added a few other foods (bananas) onto it. When she was retested at a year we also added inhalents such as grasses. We will test her again at age 2 and again will do the foods and inhalents. I'm suspicious about trees because she developed pneumonia when the trees were releasing pollen this spring.<br><br>
Let me know if you have other questions.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I'm no expert, but doing some reading since my husband has a ton of allergies all I can say is that unless it's a life threatening allergy I wouldn't do any testing at that age, it's simply too young, unreliable, you'll have a result without meaning.<br><br>
If you do proceed though I'd recommend EMLA cream for the site they'll draw blood from.

·
Registered
498 Posts
We just had dd allergy tested (at 8 1/2 mo) b/c of GI issues that I just couldn't get to the bottom of, despite all my sleuthing and attempted solutions. I took her to an allergist who did the skin prick test...which sounds much worse than it actually is! I talked to the allergist for about 1/2 hour before the test, and he explained the IgG and IgE and how the skin test only tests for one of them (but I can't remember which!) and also about food intolerances, which wouldn't show up in either, but most kids grow out of those by a year. He said he didn't do blood tests on kids that young.<br><br>
I made the med. assistant do the test (without the allergens) to me first, so I could see how it would feel on dd, and it wasn't bad at all. It was like a slight dig of the fingernail on your skin. Dd claws herself regularly harder than that! The needles just scratch the surface, it's not like a shot that penetrates the skin, and they do it on her back. They do 5 at a time, with each prong of the test strip dipped in a different allergen, and then press it slightly into her back. So she had 11 total, 5 in 2 rows, going down, and one single one in the middle. One was a histamine control, to see how her body reacted to a known allergen. Around the histamine site, a big red area formed immediately, about 3 inches in diameter. None of the other sites reacted except the egg site, and it was about 2 inches, pretty big for such a little back. We had to wait about 15 minutes to see how all the sites would react, and that was it.<br>
The MD talked to me for a bit more, and gave us packet with food info, and we have to go back in 6 months. Simple enough.<br><br>
I know there is a ton of info out there about allergies and different thoughts for testing. I wasn't sure that this allergist would be any use at all for us, but I was willing to try it to help my girl, and I feel better knowing that for sure, there was an unmistakeable reaction to eggs. That does make sense, considering dd's symptoms, and though I think there is more going on than a simple egg allergy, I also believe she has other food intolerances that hopefully she will grow out of, it does help to know about the eggs.<br>
HTH!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
ok here is the fixed link!<br><br><a href="http://home.vicnet.net.au/~disa/Food%20intol-alergic%20baby.html" target="_blank">http://home.vicnet.net.au/~disa/Food...ic%20baby.html</a>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts