Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in an family center with low income families. The parents don't have access to the internet, or much health care.

Our department has the only computers, so I am asking this questions for the infant teachers.

The center was given a large supply of disposable diapers as a donation. We usually use cloth. Most of the kids use cloth diapers at home.

A few of the babies seem to have severe diaper rashes since they got the disposables. The teachers are convinced it is the disposable diapers that are causing the rash. They are Huggies diapers, from Costco.

Do you know if kids can get rashes from disosable diapers? Could it be an allergy? Are the teachers all just CrAzY?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
My dd was quite allergic to disposable diapers. She would have trouble breathing, and did develop a rash from them. We switched to cloth, and all the troubles went away. My ds has never worn a disposable. I know several other people who have babies who reacted to disposables. It happens, there are so many chemicals and fragrences in them, it's really not supprising when you think about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was allergic to disposables (that was many many years ago . . .) dd's only experience with plastic was 24hrs in the hospital, I don't intend to find out if she shares the allergy. Sniff a sposie - there's no doubt they're rash inducing, especially to spoiled CD babies.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I was allergic to disposables (in 1972!). I would imagine that with all of the new chemicals they put in diapers that it would be even easier to be allergic today.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Ok, I USE disposables and DD has never had even a hint of a diaper rash. Generally I think that disposables are less likely to cause a diaper rash because they do keep babies' skin drier. That having been said, they DO contain chemicals and some people (babies included) are just more sensitive than others so I don't think it's improbable that a rash could be caused by disposable diapers.

A rash could also be caused by a food intolerance, whatever wipes were used, or conversely not using enough wipes or water and leaving the area dirty, or by simply not changing a diaper frequently enough.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
yep, dd is allgeric to some disposable diapers
:

ours is kind of strange(in a weird way) dd was born and spent 3 & 1/2 months in the NICU, we brought her home, even though i did plan on using cloth diapers, it just was not going to happen due to several reason, so dd came home wearing Pampers Swaddler diapers...well 3 days after being home(for the first time) we had to go back to the hospital for 2 &1/2 weeks, and while there she developed a allegery to the diapers..strange huh?

we mostly think it has something to do with all the different meds she was on at the time, and even now...i have to be careful with what i buy.

Some brands work, others don't, we sadly have to use Pampers cruisers as thats the "only" thing brand/type that is working now

cloth is best
(just wanted to add that so i don't get in trouble
: )

·
Registered
487 Posts
My DD is allergic to many of the sposie brands, but Huggies is one of the few we can use. We use mostly cloth.
That said, each babe is diffrent....

Anyway - I would switch those with rashes back to cloth, and see what happens.
The other thing has in my area there has been a stomach flu going around that causes this EVIL rash. I could not figure it out, until I realized another mom in my mom's group had it.
A and D with Aloe was the only ointment that helped (we normally never use any, and so this was a shock).

Anyway - I would also suggested that the babes may have a yeast rash that has been transmistted by the workers not washing thier hands good enough, OR babes touching thier diaper parts and each other's hands. In my state health care workers (or DCP) only have to wear gloves for poopy diapers, which is insane, they should wear them for all diaper changes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I only used disposables while on trips or camping, cloth all other times. Both of my daughters experienced rashes while wearing disposables, everytime. I can only imagine that it was due to the chemicals, the lack of airflow, etc. Never could figure out how some people I knew would change their kid only 3x a day - upon waking -noonish & bedtime (no matter what was in the diaper) & their kid would never get a rash, while mine -changed everytime they wet/or other would.

So, I learned to travel w/ cloth & make time for laundry.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
We usually use cloth. Most of the kids use cloth diapers at home.

i just have to comment how amazing it is that your center uses cloth diapers! and....that most of the families use them at home, as well. that seems amazing & out of the ordinary & i love it!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
i just have to comment how amazing it is that your center uses cloth diapers! and....that most of the families use them at home, as well. that seems amazing & out of the ordinary & i love it!

: Not to derail this, but that really is amazing. I'm glad to hear that especially the low income families are using cloth. It really does save a lot of money. It breaks my heart when I see so many poor parents in my area using disposables. I feel like they've been "duped" by the system, kwim?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts