Originally Posted by Emmama
OMG I didn't know about the toxic mold
I won't be giving PB to the kids anymore!
I think PB is safe in moderation--you don't have to give it up all together unless you just want to.
The issue with the toxic mold (actually it is called aflatoxin) is that the mold may be already on the the peanuts when it is ground--and it can still grow post grinding. You can't see it or smell it. It is *very* rare that aflatoxin mold would be in regular supermarket brands of peanut butter--due to manufacturing processes that were designed to get rid of the risk. So the more "processed" peanut butters like Skippy, Jiff, etc... are ovewhelmingly safe from aflatoxin, while health food brands and "natural" style peanut butters are the ones that have problem with the mold.
Here is more info on the subject:
I remember reading Dr. Weil saying that he likes to eat almond butter for this reason--because although the processed versions of pb are much safer from the mold, they have other issues like transfat that you don't want to be eating too much.