Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is almost 2 and a half. She nurses for 30-45 minutes in the morning as she wakes up - then for about 1-2 minutes at night ( not to sleep ). If I'm home for nap then she'll nap to sleep as well. It is rare for her to ask to nurse any other time.<br><br>
I would really like to wean her - but I am not sure of the best way to do it. I've hearn some people let them pick a day on the calendar and count it down.. But I don't want her to be to upset with mama's milk going away....<br><br>
Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Haven't been there, done that, but dd is 22 months, and I have been contemplating slowly weaning her after she turns two (not sure if I will or not yet, some days I am so sick of nursing, other days I think I will be sad if she ever weans.... I think most moms here know how that goes).<br><br>
Anyway, I borrowed "How Weaning Happens" from LLL and it has a lot of useful information, and tips on weaning at different ages. I was also talking to one of the leaders who has a son about half a year older than my DD, and she has been working to decrease the nursings. She suggested changing up routine. For instance, if you are usually doing the bedtime routine, go out at that time for a while (to run errands, meetings, whatever) and have your DP do it. Or, leave early or be busy in the morning and have your DP do cuddle time with your dd instead of nursing time to wake up. That way you can gradually wean by slowly cutting out feedings.<br>
The calendar thing, or nursing count down is something I have seen people use with older nurslings (like 3 and 4 year olds).<br><br>
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts