Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started having contractions today. At first I was ignoring them then noticed they were coming pretty regularly. I got myself in the tub and was drinking plenty of water, they spaced out a bit but kept coming. Oviously I am out of the tub now and they are coming again with some regularity. Going to the hospital is the last thing I want to do
My first was just shy of 38 weeks, second was 37 weeks but #3 was 40 weeks. I worry that this little one isn't as patient as he/she needs to be. My pubic bone has been separated for a little over a week which has caused quite a bit of stress and a lot of pain. I am working with my chiro and it is getting a bit better but today is a bad day

Any suggestions on keeping these contractions at bay? - my MW is out of town this weekend. I need to carry to at least 36.5 weeks to have my homebirth.

Keri

·
Registered
68 Posts
HI,
I just delivered my son a week and a half ago. I was 35 1/2 weeks and he is fine. I just wanted to tell you that in case you're worried. My midwife was comfortable doing a HB after 35 weeks.

Anyway, I had contractions off and on for a while before like you. The only thing that I can suggest is what my midwife told me- get in a nice hot tub and drink a beer or some wine. It will help relax those uterine muscles and should make the contrax stop. That's what worked for me when I had pre-term contrax.

Oh but make sure you drink water also because the alcohol can make you dehydrated.

Sorry I don't have more suggestions for you! Does your MW have a back-up you can call or an emergency number?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
keri,

Sorry I don't have any different ideas from what was just written, but just wondering how you're doing?

hugs,
mamabutterfly

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
MamaTT (who is new to these boards, and right now is--I hope--either giving birth or snuggling a fresh new baby!) had good luck stopping preterm contrax by using Wild Yam.

I'm not sure how much or what form she used, but she actually went a bit overboard.....if she hasn't had the little one yet, she's now about 11 days past her due date!

So, I would recommend talking to a mw or someone knowledgeable about herbs and see what they say about yam.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you and the babe!

Sarah

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I also had my dd at home at 35 weeks 5 day
She was a healthy 6 lbs and 10 oz
and our due date wasn't off. I would take it easy, drink plenty of water and do as little walking as possible, as well as what was suggested above about herbs(contacting someone that is)

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ladies,
I did call the back up MW because they started picking up steam and she suggested Calcium with Magnesium, I have some here at home so I started taking it to help relax my uterine muscles. It took a few hours but they have subsided.
With my last pregnancy my MW was leary of HB before 36.5 weeks. I would feel comfortable at 36 but just shy of 35 is just a little too early for my taste

I'll check into the wild yam if I have another episode.
I have been drinking plenty of water and taking the Cal/Mag every 3-4 hours now. I am hoping I just had an irritable uterus episode - maybe it was the crunches I did on the ball this morning with one of my clients
:
I'll keep you updated if there is any news.

Keri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts