Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky for me she sleeps good at night, her usual is waking up 2-3 times then nurse right back to sleep. It's about 9-10 hours at night.

According to NCSS, she should be getting 5 hours of sleep during the day at this age. Rarely she gets that. It is also rare that she will get 2 hours at one time. Unless she is on me, sitting on the couch or occassionally in the Moby carrier.

Like me, she is a light sleeper and wakes up fairly easily, although there have been times I thought a noise would wake her up and it didn't. I have a really hard time transferring her if she falls asleep on me. She usually wakes up.

So is there a minimum BLOCK of time during the day she should sleep? Like 1 hour? 2? Even so, I'm not even sure how I could get her to sleep any longer during the day.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
According to every chart I read, my son only got 75% of the minimum amount of sleep recommended for his age until he was about 3yo, now he gets the minimum amount most days. Nothing we did would help him sleep longer & he was happy, healthy & meeting all his other milestones, so we eventually just accepted the fact that he did not need the full amount of sleep that the charts said.

From what I remember, if he ever napped, it was very short lived, or in the car or sling. It's been 4 years though, and I'm pregnant again,so my memory may be a bit shaky! The good news is, he'll now sleep for 10 hours overnight. But I really never thought we'd get to this point.

If her lower total sleep is not affecting her other development, then I would just not worry about it :) Easier said than done I know, it took me a while to accept that DS just didn't need the sleep! Luckily I did manage to operate on very little sleep myself for a couple years.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! She does seem fine otherwise and in good spirits. Oddly enough she has slept later the last couple mornings, maybe playing catch-up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.