Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....we have a 26 month old who we've ED'd all along with some rough points and some breaks along the way. She is now diaperless all the time apart from naps and night (although since she is 90% of the time dry then she probably doesn't need the diapers for nights and naps) but our problem is that she doesn't communicate AT ALL when she needs to pee, and unless we are on it (timing wise) and take her, she will still pee in her pants with no hesitation! Many days we are dry all day, on account of DH and I being really good with timing and potty op's, but generally DD shows NO initiative of her own. She doesn't seem to respond to our frustration or our encouragement and for about 6 months now completely refuses to tell us she needs to pee (apart from the rare occation, which indicates to us that she certainly CAN tell us!)<br><br>
Any ideas what to do? I'm even concidering making some kind of sticker chart where by she will get a sticker for each time she tells us she needs to pee, and then does go pee and once she gets "x" amount of stickers, she'll get some kind of prize. But i hate bribery...<br><br>
Someone have a better idea? Anyone in the same situation or moved through this??<br><br>
Thanks!<br><br>
Sarahfina

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just sympathising, because my 2 1/2 year old son was like that for a long time, and still is, sometimes. At home, the only thing that works is leaving him bottomless with a potty nearby. He is almost accident-free at home now, but it was a very slow and messy process. Out in stores or other public places, he will usually tell us, but at relatives' houses, he will just go on himself unless we are carefully watching him at all times. Maybe some kids just don't care, and there isn't much we can do about it.<br><br>
We actually have almost the opposite problem sometimes - my son tends to say that he wants to use the bathroom whenever he is 1) scared, 2) wants to leave an enclosed room or his booster seat, 3) wants undivided attention or 4) really does want to use the bathroom. I'm the only one who tries to figure out what he actually wants when he says this, most others that spend time with him, including his father, ignore him, since he's "crying 'wolf'", leading to accidents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts