Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a recap of the school year? How did your children do over all? Any highs or lows to share? New friends made? Unproductive friendships abandoned? Anything special your child's teacher/s did to help them along?
Any changes you plan to make to their schooling for next year?

Can't wait to hear!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My dd did very well. She is in public school (3rd grade) and it was the first year for all the testings. She came away from that experience pretty disappointed. She expected it to be hard. She's picked up a new friend but has pretty much kept the same ones from last year. Being that she is in the magnet program, she will have the same classmates every year until at least middle school.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Dd1 (1st grade) is doing great this year.

The teacher allows her to read whatever she wants for AR tests, and doesn't limit her at all. At the second quarter she maxed out of the leveled reading assessment for her grade (she tested a 28 - 2nd grade 8th month). But she reads Harry Potter books at school (she took an AR on the first one and got 75% - which is still passing and considering it's a 5th grade level with 20 questions, that was awesome).

Her reading ability seems to impress some of the other teachers. I've gotten a few remarks about how amazing it is that she's reading HP in first grade. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but apparently some teachers do.

Her writing ability is pretty great too. Her class focused on writing ability too and she wrote some great stories over the course of the year for her journal. We got her second journal from the year and dh and I laughed and cried in parts. It was cool.

I was told by the teacher she recommended dd1 to the principal to be put on a list of high achievers, so that next year she will be in a high ability group next year. She also said she'd bet the house payment dd will continue to do well and will be eligible for the merit program. YAY! I didn't have to make a big deal to show she had ability. She's showing them herself.

Her teacher helped dd's shyness and helped give her confidence. She almost helped too much because dd is starting to have trouble with chatting. But she's more aware of it now, so hopefully it will be okay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.