Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the yellow juice in an aloe leaf?Is it found only in certain parts of the leaf?I've noticed the yellow is very potent on a sunburn,I have literally watched the burn disappear.However,it seems a bit hit and miss finding it in the leaves.Any pointers?

Has anyone juiced aloe?Did it gum up the juicer?Did you drink it?Did you use it for a skin treatment?Would juiced aloe and baking soda make a good soap?I'm going to go try these and I'll share my results.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O.K.I tried juicing a leaf of aloe (about4in. long,1in. wide)It did not gum up the juicer,but it seperated into 3 groups;a-skin,b-thick slime,c-thin slime.The thick slime and the skin/husk were in the pulp box.The thin slime was in the drip bowl but did not drip into glass,it was too thick to run and not enough to be pushed out the spout.I removed the husk and mixed the slimes together.In half I mixed in about 2 tablespoons of baking soda(I did not measure,I'm guessing on amount)It made "green"-smelling guacamole texture stuff.In the rest of the aloe, I mixed in about 4-5 tablespoons of baking soda.I rolled this into 2 small balls,but rather than smelling "green" it smelled like body odor,so I added a couple splashes of grapefruit EO.(So nice!)Then rolled them back into two balls.
I have been workin in the garden all day,and I am sunburned and sweaty,so I took a shower and used the aloe concoctions...Itried the aloe balls as soap,but it stung my sunburned arms,(as baking soda does)so then I washed with the "guacaloe"(guacamole aloe slime)and added some grapefruit EO(2 shakes)and washed with it,and it was delightful!nice on my sunburn,smelled good,no residue,nice and clean.I had some left,so I shampooed with it too!I was not too impressed,not very soft hair,so I rinsed w/ some watered down vinegar and EO,and was still not sold.However,when iI got out and brushed my hair it was so smooth and nice!YAY!!!

I did not drink any aloe,as it was so little,and very slimey.If I wanted to drink some,I would juice it or mix it with something juicier.

I thought this would be the right board,as I was in the garden and as a result I did all this,but if you need to move it,that's fine

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it would be more difficult to cut off the skin-too slippery and hard to handle,plus,it would cut off some of the good stuff inside.The juicer was to loose as little as possible,and it shaves the skin right off really thin.I'm wondering now, if I chop it up first,and juiced it if the results would be different.I also want to try the blender now,I wonder if the skin would blend right up,and not be scratchy chunks...?Hmmmmm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts