Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I read somewhere in someones sig here, a link, about the few of the *best* carseats that you can buy and one of them listed was the alpha omega *elite*. so I went to the walmart (hate the store, but I need to get the best price) and see alpha omega, and I just snatch it up (there was only one left).

when I got to the car, I noticed it was Just the alpha omega, and not the *elite*, and I've been searching the internet to find that site again, and can't find it. I wonder if the regular AO is just as good as the elite. HELP! I wanted the elite partially because it has arm rests which the other doesn't have, arg.

so could someone please let me know if this particular seat is as good as the elite? it's full name is alpha omega LX.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Hmmm..I can't tell you if I have the AO Elite or not, I can't remember what mine is, other than its an AO.

It does have arm rests though, and they can be turned upwards if the child isn't using them or needs them (which I do for Dd).

I like my AO. Its a bit tricky to install because you can't rely on the instructions that tell you to level it according to their "guide" that is imprinted on the seat. We went to a car seat clinic and basically their technition said that it would be next to impossible to install that seat (and some others) that far reclined (in the back facing postion) in any car. You just have to do the best you can.

The shoulder straps on the AO do sometimes become twisted, but its not that hard to undo. The thing I find I hate is the dark colour. The fabric becomes REALLY hot when the car is parked in the sun, and worse if the carseat is in the sunlight. They should make a lighter colour cover! I've had to drape a receiving blanket over it so that the dark fabric and the plastic bits on the seat don't burn Dd when I put her in.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I had two AO car seats (for #1 and #2 baby) and I liked them okay. I don't think it was the elite though. My biggest complaient was that they are huge!! We had to get rid of them when we had #3 and get smaller ones so we could fit three in the car.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i'm with angela.

we had one breifly with my first, because it was so popular, but it was impossible to get a good install RF. the thing with 3 in 1 seats is that they typically don't work well at any of the 3 stages. they're generally hard to install RF, harness slots are really low, and kids shoulders have to be at or below the top slots to use the seat FF, and they don't make good boosters. overall, not a great seat.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I've heard a lot of people around here who hate it. I'm all for britax personally.

-Angela
I know that you like the britax. every single thread that I found on carseats had a post about you and britax. are you getting paid or something? j/k
: You wanna buy one for me?

ok, you know what? not everyone has hundreds of dollars to throw around for a carseat. I'm on welfare, so I don't have any extra $$ for a "britax". I'm going to be in debt for awhile becasue of buying it. I thought the AOE would be great, as I can find it in my local store. I live in canada, and I've never actually seen a britax with my own two eyes. I looked at them online, and really, I don't see the attraction. they only go up to 45 lbs, for the roundabout, i think it's called.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hey there! I understand your frustration of not being able to see Britax seats too. (we're also in Canada) in larger cities you can find places to see them. One of our local Babies R Us has one on the shelf. But it's a bit of a moot point if you can't afford one (and no, not everyone can even though they are very safe seats. Don't beat yourself up over it.)

We were given an AO 3 in 1 seat and used it for awhile and really didn't like it. The hip straps came across our DD's thighs/ legs instead of her hips which isn't right and it's really hard to get a good rf installation in our small car (Toyota Tercel) That seat has been sent to the grandparent area to be the seat we use when we visit. I think it will work much better forward facing and will work as a reasonable booster when we get to that point. (ours also had a puzzle buckle where you fit the 2 pieces together and then snap them into the buckle. IRRITATING!) we found that the straps twisted horribly as well.

The most important thing to know though is that all carseats are tested and pass minimum standards so your child is in a safe place in your car. The most important thing for you to do to maximize your child's safety is to make sure you strap your child in properly every time AND make sure your installation is good.

A lot of the cheaper seats that are recommended on this board are not available in Canada (like the Evenflo one...)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
remember too that our laws are different than the US laws. Even though the Britax seats are made in the same place, the sticker is different and the weight limits for FF with a harness are different than in the US. Transport Canada does not approve any FF seat for a weight higher than 48 lbs. After that point a child is to be in a booster seat. It does seem to reduce the appeal of the Britax since you can't use it as long if you follow the instructions on your seat.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, I happen to Love, Love, Love my Alpha Omega!!!

We haven't had any trouble with it at all, it's affordable, and it fits just perfectly in our Minivan (Grand Voyager) I don't know if ours is an Elite or not, but we loved it so much we bought another one for baby #2.

I know lots of people around here love the Britax, but if you want only one seat from beginning to end I highly recommend it. I personally couldn't justify the cost of a Britax.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Wish I got paid by them!
I didn't realize you're in Canada. In Canada the Marathon (highest Britax approved there) is only rated to 48lbs. (even though it's the same seat that is rated to 65 lbs in the US
) and the Boulevard with side impact isn't even approved at all.
I've seen a lot of good things about the scenara- and it's supposed to be very inexpensive. I don't know though if it's available in Canada.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
There are Britaxes here in Canada, as I have seen them in stores. I have a Toyota Carolla, and a friend has a Britax (not sure which one) which she installed in my car as well as me having the AO in it. The Britax was HUGE compared to my AO. Our kiddos are the same age, give or take 2 weeks, and she had to have her kiddo face forward while I could still have mine backwards because the leg length of the carseat was "shorter". Now that said, her kid could've had longer legs...

The price difference was big too, as the Britax was a couple of hundred Cdn dollars while the AO was less than $150Cdn. Save-On foods was/is running a promotion where you could get the AO Elite with your save on points. Had I known that I would've gotten it that way.

·
Registered
899 Posts
We had an Alpha Omega and HATED it. The straps twisted so badly that we had to bring the seat inside and take it apart to get them untwisted. I would advise taking it back to the store. I can't tell you how much we hated that seat. I'm sure you can find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and won't drive you crazy!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I have an alpha omega elite, i love it! before this, we had to return a graco seat because the straps wernt long enough to fit my 4mth old son in the infant rear facing position.

we tryed a few seats in babies r us and found the AOE was perfect for him, very long straps, i love the padding, good weight range. Ds loves it. It was a little annoying to put in rear facing, but i'm sure ff it will be a breeze.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the AOE and the AO, you will definatly know if its the elite by the instruction book and box. If you don't love it, you could return it to walmart and maybe look at babies r us?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellp
There are Britaxes here in Canada, as I have seen them in stores. I have a Toyota Carolla, and a friend has a Britax (not sure which one) which she installed in my car as well as me having the AO in it. The Britax was HUGE compared to my AO. Our kiddos are the same age, give or take 2 weeks, and she had to have her kiddo face forward while I could still have mine backwards because the leg length of the carseat was "shorter". Now that said, her kid could've had longer legs...
Hmm...we have a Corolla and two Britax and no problem with fit here. DS rearfaced until he was well over two and he is pretty tall for his age. I haven't heard very good things about the AO. We do have a Cosco Scenera in DH's car since DS rarely rides there and we also take it to travel since it's very light. We've been very happy with that seat though it is more difficult to install than the Britax.

Things I love about the Britax.

The RF tether means you get a perfect recline every time and you never need a pool noodle or anything.

While rf a Britax can touch the front seat. Some car seats don't allow that in their instructions.

The longevity. A Britax can go rf to 33lbs and FF to 60 lbs. and when your child outgrows it they go straight to a booster.

The AO won't last as long as they say (to 100 lbs.) because carseats expire after 7 years. It also has low harness slots so your child will likely outgrow it while FF but they will still be too young to use it as a booster. Plus the harness only goes to 40 lbs. My two year old is almost 35 lbs and it will be a loong time before he is mature enough for a booster. So you will likely have to buy another harnessed seat like the Husky or Sunshine Radian and thus end up spending the same amount or more than you would have if you had just bought the Britax.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Just be aware that the very top slot is NOT for the harness! I've heard they are not too clear on that in the directions.

If I were in canada I wouldn't want a britax either since I have one because of it being a higher harnessed weight seat (65 lbs here).

LIke the pp I have heard good things about the scenera. Is the new Fisher Price seat approved in Canada? That's a britax shell without out some of the "extras." I've heard it's really nice except that the cover is kind of ugly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have an AO Elite and hate hate hate it for all the reasons above. I mean, my parents got a cheap cosco one that works better (not as hot in summer, straps don't get twisted). Next time (coming up soon) I am springing for the Britax - I feel like it is worth the money to be happy with a piece of equipment you will use for so much, for so long...and we only use the car a couple times a week!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by majazama
ok, you know what? not everyone has hundreds of dollars to throw around for a carseat. I'm on welfare, so I don't have any extra $$ for a "britax". I'm going to be in debt for awhile becasue of buying it. I thought the AOE would be great, as I can find it in my local store. I live in canada, and I've never actually seen a britax with my own two eyes. I looked at them online, and really, I don't see the attraction. they only go up to 45 lbs, for the roundabout, i think it's called.
Yes, the Marathon is the way to go since they go to 60 lbs. The roundabout is okay if your kid is small or if you're having more children that you can pass the roundabout down to. If you have a Target nearby I have heard that they are clearencing out a bunch of MA and Roundabouts so you may be able to get a good deal.

Have you seen the Fisher Price seats? They are made by Britax and almost exactly the same as a Marathon. They onlt difference is the weight limit is 55 lbs. It should last you 5-6 years and then your child can go into a booster.
http://store.babycenter.com/product/..._carseats/8561
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Fisher-...onvertible.pro
http://www.babyage.com/products/ef20...e_car_seat.htm

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2noah
Yes, the Marathon is the way to go since they go to 60 lbs. The roundabout is okay if your kid is small or if you're having more children that you can pass the roundabout down to. If you have a Target nearby I have heard that they are clearencing out a bunch of MA and Roundabouts so you may be able to get a good deal.

Have you seen the Fisher Price seats? They are made by Britax and almost exactly the same as a Marathon. They onlt difference is the weight limit is 55 lbs. It should last you 5-6 years and then your child can go into a booster.
http://store.babycenter.com/product/..._carseats/8561
http://www.elitecarseats.com/Fisher-...onvertible.pro
http://www.babyage.com/products/ef20...e_car_seat.htm
Important note- NO seat, not even the Britax, are rated over 48lbs in Canada.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We just bought the AO Elite, and I can tell you from looking at the AO that sat right beside it (bought at BRU, it is available online, too) that there are few differences between the two as far as features go. The elite has more padding options, and I assume that this is because it can be used from infancy through 100lbs, it's super convertible. The regular AO didn't have the infant capabilities, if I remember correctly.

But we love ours, it was easy to install and ds has transitioned well to it. We'd buy it again.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i'm not 100% sure it's available in canada, but i think the scenera would be a great choice. it's much more user friendly than the AOE, and will last you longer. plus (atleast here
) it's much cheaper. it's about $50 here, and the AOE is over $100. if you can return the AO, i would get a scenera instead.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts