Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah yeah I know my kids are close enough why do I want more? Even before Henri was born, DH and I discussed TTC #3 once he reached a year old. Well he is 7 months old now, too soon yet, but I think about this more and more every day. Both boys were born vaginally, Henri was born at home with no problems. I am 22 years old and in pretty good health, no major problems or chronic diseases. There are things I worry about though, can my body handle another pregnancy, specifically can my uterus handle it? Does my chance of rupture or hemmhorage increase having kids so close together?
Another thing to consider is Henri breastfeeding. He is still 99% breastfed at 7 months, I don't see this changing much in the next few months, so I do need to consider that. For mamas who've BTDT, when do you think would be the absolute earliest we could concieve without jeopardizing the nursing relationship? That is really my biggest concern.

( feel free to tell me what a nutjob I am for wanting another baby! )

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I think you should wait a bit. I got pregnant when my youngest was 16 months, and at 19 months he has just stopped nursing, tandeming my be more of an option for you, but my milk all but dried up and nursing was torture for me. I wouldn't want to chance my milk drying up before my baby was at least 15 months, since nursing didn't really slow down until that time and I don't want to formula feed my baby when I have more than enough milk for him(not pregnant).

Also try to think about what it'll be like to have a 2yo, a 1,yo, and a newborn. Unless you are getting a lot of help, this will be a lot of work. 2yo's are still very dependant on mom too.

Plus another pregnancy in such short succession will be hard on your body. Namely your body's vitamin reserves are not having a chance to catch up with all this baby making and your body will give everything you do have left to a growing fetus, if not the child you are already nursing.

Even waiting 6-12 months, your kids would still be close together and you can use this time now to try to build up your body's reserves and take good care of YOURSELF before sacrificing it all to another baby. Two years in age difference is still pretty close together.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AugustLia23 View Post
I think you should wait a bit. I got pregnant when my youngest was 16 months, and at 19 months he has just stopped nursing, tandeming my be more of an option for you, but my milk all but dried up and nursing was torture for me.
:

I had pretty much the exact same experience, down to the age of the child. I fully planned on nursing throughout my pregnancy and tandem nursing afterwards if necessary, but when I was about 2.5-3 months pregnant, my milk completely dried up. I am talking, I was not able to express even a drop, whereas before the pregnancy all I had to do was apply slight pressure to get a really spectacular letdown. And nursing became uncomfortable, and then painful, and I finally wound up weaning, which I still regret to this day.

After that miserable experience, I swore that I would not get pregnant again until my 2nd child had self-weaned, and that is what we did. She naturally weaned around 24 months or so, and we started TTC'ing shortly after that. I'm glad we waited.

Of course, everyone is different and I know some mamas have nursed throughout pregnancy with no problems. So that's a tough choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.