Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd is 20mo old and has recently realized that "mommy" and "daddy" aren't mine and dh's names. so we go through her kids books and she points to a woman with a baby and says "mommy!" then points to me and says "lyla's mommy!" ... this has lead me to realize that all of her books, if they have parents, have exactly one mommy and one daddy. dh and i are married and from the outside look like a happy little hetero-normative family. however, we're poly, pansexual, and otherwise "queer" ... (just not currently practicing much of any sexual identity, since we hardly have time for a quicky while the kids are asleep!
) anyway, i don't want dd to get it in her head that this is the way a family necessarily looks! does anyone have any kid's book suggestions with "alternative" family situations?

tia!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL i don't necessarily just want poly books. i'd love a bunch of books that show many different situations. one daddy, two mommies, a mommy and granparents, aunts/uncles, i'd even like to have some with adoptive failies, bi-racial families.. just anything that looks different than the social norm! i just want my kids to grow up with the assumption that "family" only means "group of people who love each other and take care of each other" ... not "one mommy, one daddy, one girl-child, one boy-child" (which just happens to be what we look like!)

one time my brother (7) said, "J can't be pregnant. she's not married. first she has to find a man and get married!" ... i know this is a common mistake for kids, i just don't want it to be so common for mine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Molly's Family" by Nancy Gardener - found it at the library. We also found one about an adoptive family but I can't remember the title. We found that one just by chance just wandering around and looking at books lying around the childrens area.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I just checked out a book from the library on accident called "And Tango Makes Three". It's about the two male penguins at the zoo who co-parented a baby penguin. I picked it up because ds loves penguins and was pleasantly suprised when I realized the content.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple books that my 3 (almost 4!) year old loves are:

Mommy Eat Ant Yuck
The Dragon and The Doctor
and the little series from Australia that includes 4 booklets written by a little girl and one of her moms - I am blanking on the little girls name but all these books are available through two lives publishing, which is a great resourse.

My daughter loves these because they have actually stories that include lesbian families, but have more to the story.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i just wanted to add, if anyone is looking for books for their older child... Francesca Lablock's Weetzie Bat series are a fantastic modern fairytale with "alternative" family structure.

they need to be read by you first though, as they do deal with teen issues...drinking, sex, punk rock lol, etc

·
Registered
335 Posts
King and King
King and King and Family by Linda De Haan
My ds was three when we purchased these books. He really enjoyed them. Now, when I read them to his little brother he still listens and checks out the illustrations... he's eight.
I second the other suggestions. We either have them or have borrowed them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes! These are the books. My daugher got them last year and absolutely LOVES them (she will be four on Sat).

We have found that the books she likes the best are the ones that have plots that do not center around the GLBT issues, but are just story books that happen to have 2 mom families.

We also have the Family ABC book and Everywhere Babies.

My son who is 18 months LOVES Everywhere babies as well - it is really sweet.

We are going to check out the other books mentioned here as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.