Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies. I was just browsing through the archives looking for some info on Lupus. I have Lupus (diagnosed about 2 years ago) and have been seeing a Rheumatologist for awhile. He prescribed Plaquenil and Prednisone. I stopped taking both when I got pregnant in March of 2002 and did great the entire time I was pregnant. Anyway, I decided to try to stay off of the drugs while I breastfeed and did great until a few weeks ago. I started feeling very tired all of the time and had some of my old symptoms: numbness, joint pain, insomnia, etc... Anyway, I am still breastfeeding and DO NOT want to start taking the meds again, especially the Prednisone. My body is aspartame free (I read extensively on the dangers and completely rid my diet of it). I wonder though, since Lupus is primarily a women's disease, if there are any others on this board that are living with Lupus and if you have any advice as far as alternative medicine/diet goes?

THANKS!

Julianne

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't know much about lupus, but last night I was reading about the symptoms of hypothyroid, and according to some websites that I was reading, your symptoms are exact. (There are many more symptoms, some which are present, some which are not.)
The website said that hypothyroid is very common post partum. It seems like most women who suffer from either hypo or hyper are on medications. But a mama on here, I believe it was on Goodpapa's thread about Nutrition, said that she increased fat and protein in her diet and it helped immensely. The website also said that an "at-home" way to determine if you were hypo is to take your temp every morning and if it is below 97.2, you most likely do.
So my point is that maybe increasing your fats and protein at this time could help alleviate your symptoms.
I know there are other mamas on here with much more specific and direct answers for you, but your questions really struck a cord with me since I had just been exploring hypothyroidism. I will double check the specific websites if you are interested.
Blessings for your strength, stamina, and good health new mama!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.