Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Mama's!

Do you have any recommendations for a shampoo/liquid soap for little ones? We were using california baby and it is about out. I cant justify 9.00 on a bottle of shampoo right now -

There has to be a midground between a .99 bottle of "baby shampoo" and california baby.

Id like it to be something I can actually go buy the the store and not order unless its amazon. I liked california baby because I can get it at target

We have a big bottle of burts bee's but that doesnt actually score too well - so I have been using it :p

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Have you tried just using water? My kid is nearing three and has had shampoo on her hair twice. We just use water and she looks fantastic with shiney hair. At that age she doesn't seem to have any oiley spots. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I agree with water unless you absolutely need something.

We do prefer california baby and I have diluted it at times to make it last longer. At the moment we are using both Dr. Bronners baby mild as well as their shikakai soap in a pump bottle. I have washed my LO's hair with it, just be sure not to let it get in their eyes. It's more expensive than CB but for a larger amount and can also be diluted.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I know what you mean about 9 bucks being a little too expensive for baby shampoo. We use a shampoo from Rainbow Research for kids....and actually my husband and I use it too. Its a pretty nice size bottle (12 oz) and its lasted us over a month. A little goes a long way. We bought it at Whole Foods. I found a website that sells it: www.mothernature.com (I just saw that it was on sale there too!!) Hope this helps!!
:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I heartily second Nature's Gate! I love that stuff. I also like the Jason one -- also $8, but a much bigger bottle and can also be diluted or you can just use the tiniest amt.

·
Registered
836 Posts
another vote for just water. I stopped washing my sons hair when he was about 18 months old, and it has improved dramatically. It's curly and it hardly ever gets tangled anymore. In fact, it inspired me to give water-only a try, and it's working out nicely.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I 2nd (or 4th or 5th) just using water. The more you wash your hair with shampoo, the more oil your scalp has to replace since shampoo is meant to strip all dirt and oil. The more oil your scalp has to replace, the more oily your hair is, thus feeling like you need to shampoo it more. I used to shampoo my hair every day but am now down to 2x a month or so. I just started out by going as long as I could stand it in between shampoos. At first that was only 2-3 days but gradually my scalp started making less oil. Don't get me wrong, I still wash it nearly daily with water and occasionally conditioner mixed with brown sugar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would try using a plain unscented bar of soap. My SIL started making cold-process soap after we ran out of California Baby, and my Target ran out of stock. My son had excema so bad it broke out into open rashes, even on his face and around his eyes. I started doing a chamomile tea rinse to calm his poor irritated skin, then started using the unscented soap and he hasnt has any break out since. His skin is actually very soft now, where I dont have to spend the $9 on a bottle of the California baby lotion either, he doesnt need any at all. I can provide you with her info if you would like to buy some, or you can search Etsy for plain unscented soap. It runs about $5 a bar on etsy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chichona View Post
I would try using a plain unscented bar of soap. My SIL started making cold-process soap after we ran out of California Baby, and my Target ran out of stock. My son had excema so bad it broke out into open rashes, even on his face and around his eyes. I started doing a chamomile tea rinse to calm his poor irritated skin, then started using the unscented soap and he hasnt has any break out since. His skin is actually very soft now, where I dont have to spend the $9 on a bottle of the California baby lotion either, he doesnt need any at all. I can provide you with her info if you would like to buy some, or you can search Etsy for plain unscented soap. It runs about $5 a bar on etsy.
What is her link?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
We have been using only shampoo bars here for about 3 years now (usually J.R. Liggetts or Chargrin Valley). At about 5 bucks a bar, I buy a few at a time to save on shipping and the bars last forever. Its been the best bang for the buck for natural hair care, lots of good oils and my last two kids have had it since birth, takes care of cradle cap too. Just watch their eyes.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyurina View Post
Castile soap works well, as does soapnuts liquid-especially if you put it into one of those foamer things-clears up eczema to boot!
Can you tell me more about the soapnuts for eczema? My dd has it, and she's not fond of putting anything on it, but if it's in the bath, she'll likely go for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.