Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies, tonight I'm so excited to announce that I'm going to begin no 'pooing!!! Now the next thing that I would love to replace naturally is my facial cleanser and moisturizer. Anyone have any suggestions? I have moderately oily/ acne prone skin, but I do still need to moisturize. Any thoughts on this would be great! I spend a lot on cleansers etc. now so anything has got to be better than this. Mel

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use amla powder to wash my face. It is a traditional Indian hair washing herb. I buy mine at a local Indian Grocery. It helps refine my pores and has a lot of antioxidants in it. I pay $1.49 for about four ounces. I also use a microfiber cloth for my face as it helps remove mineral makeup. Sometimes I also use a bit of coconut oil all over my face as a cleanser. That is actually a bit drying and helps my oily T zone to calm down. To moisturize, I spritz my face with green tea and apply a tiny bit of Silkia camellia oil that I bought on ebay. I use certified organic rosehip seed oil around my eyes.
There are a lot of companies that claim to be naturally based but have a lot of chemicals. My friend sells Mary Kay and when I told her I was using all natural skin care she said " Oh we have natural skin care, it has botanical extracts." Yeah, they have parabens and mineral oil and crap like that too.
HTH
Prairiechild

·
Registered
390 Posts
I keep some green tea in a spray bottle and put a bit of amla in the palm of my hand and spray the green tea into my hand and make a soft paste. I rub it onto my face. Sometimes I wash it off immediately and sometimes I leave it on as a mask. You could just mix it with water too.
Prairiechild

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Baking soda is an AWSOME facial cleanser. Actually, I've been just using baking soda as a whole body cleanser for a while now, including my teeth (although I do use a flouride toothpaste sometimes, too...that's a whole 'nother thread, though).

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I tried washing with amla paste twice in the last week and broke out
I suspect it might just be that the powder I have is coarse and scratchy and irritated my skin.

I don't have time to wash my face a lot of days
: But now that I'm wearing heavier sunscreen I've had to get better about washing it off before bed. Some days I wash my face with just water and lots of gentle fingertip massage; some days I use nonfat yogurt or kefir; other days I use finely blended oatmeal ( I like to powder some lavender and rose patels in with it) and some days I use baking soda and a single drop of Dr B's. They all work much the same except the dairy products leave my skin feeling slightly less dry, I think.

Once a week, I steam my face over a bowl of hot water and then do the oil cleansing method with virgin coconut oil as kind of a deep cleanse. This is my favorite -- leaves my skin very soft and glowing, does wonders for my complexion and really gets crap out of my pores. But I'm too worn out most nights for it to be my regular method of cleansing.

I like to do a raw honey mask after my steam & oil cleanse. Or sometimes I use yogurt.

I use some rosewater on my face after I wash it. Not sure if it actually does anything but it feels and smells lovely.

I try very hard not to dry out my skin enough that I feel I need a moisturizer. It's more likely to break out if I strip it like that. (Likely the reason you need to moisturize, OP, is that your current cleansers are drying your skin out too much and then you need to replace those stripped oils.) Anyway, if I feel the need, I'll rub a tiny speck of virgin coconut oil or unrefined shea butter between my palms and use that.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by girlndocs
Once a week, I steam my face over a bowl of hot water and then do the oil cleansing method with virgin coconut oil as kind of a deep cleanse. This is my favorite -- leaves my skin very soft and glowing, does wonders for my complexion and really gets crap out of my pores. But I'm too worn out most nights for it to be my regular method of cleansing.

: What's the oil cleansing method? I have crappy pores.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere that gives you a link to a website that explains it. Basically you take extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and caster oil (CO) and mix together. If you have dry skin I think you use more EVOO and if you have oily skin you use more CO. You massage it on your face and neck. Then take a washcloth and get it as hot as you can stand it using water, ring it out, then lay it on your face and neck. This brings out all the crap stuck in your pores. As it cools off you gently wipe the oil off. Repeat as many times as needed. Make sure you get the oil by your hairline, by your nose, etc. Then you splash your face with cold water to close the pores. While your face is still wet, you take a drop of EVOO/CO and rub it in your palms and then pat it onto your face. Rub the oil into your skin so your skin absorbs it (so there's no oily residue on your skin). That's it. I guess the theory is that even if you have oily skin you need to moisturize.

Try to find the thread that talks about this and has the link to the website. It explains the reasoning behind this and tells you better how to do it.

I've started doing this and my skin is really soft. I still breakout around my period time, but I don't breakout any more than usual doing this. I love how soft my skin is and how it "glows".

HTH!

S.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have oily skin & I LOVE sugar scrubs as a combination cleanser/moisturizer. I make them to sell on my site (pm me if you want the link), but you can make a very basic one by just combining an oil like sweet almond or grapeseed oil with sugar unitl it's the consistency you want. I love that it exfoliates & moisturizes all in one step. It's all I use, other than a tad of shea body butter right around my eyes since I don't get the sugar scrub right up to my eyes like that.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwill129
There's a thread here somewhere that gives you a link to a website that explains it. Basically you take extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and caster oil (CO) and mix together. If you have dry skin I think you use more EVOO and if you have oily skin you use more CO. You massage it on your face and neck. Then take a washcloth and get it as hot as you can stand it using water, ring it out, then lay it on your face and neck. This brings out all the crap stuck in your pores. As it cools off you gently wipe the oil off. Repeat as many times as needed. Make sure you get the oil by your hairline, by your nose, etc. Then you splash your face with cold water to close the pores. While your face is still wet, you take a drop of EVOO/CO and rub it in your palms and then pat it onto your face. Rub the oil into your skin so your skin absorbs it (so there's no oily residue on your skin). That's it. I guess the theory is that even if you have oily skin you need to moisturize.

Try to find the thread that talks about this and has the link to the website. It explains the reasoning behind this and tells you better how to do it.

I've started doing this and my skin is really soft. I still breakout around my period time, but I don't breakout any more than usual doing this. I love how soft my skin is and how it "glows".

HTH!

S.
Thanks so much for that info. I'm going to try to find the thread so I can read the site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts