Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I believe there are prescription formulas you could use, but I'm not sure what they are. Sorry I'm not more help!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
My ds1 had good sucess with Goat's milk around that age. His poops didn't change, they stayed looking like and smelling like bf poos.

He does not have any actual food allergies at almost three.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hmm. I was going to say hemp milk, but at that age you do probably still want to do formula. Nutramigen is the hypoallergenic formula that many folks use...think you might need a prescription (?)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
At 9mo, if you must supplement, you'll be looking at a hypoallergenic formula, perhaps even an elemental formula.

What's up with pumping? Do you not let down for the pump? What kind of pump? How old? When are you trying to pump?

Why do you need that one bottle? Is there a way to avoid being gone that long?

Anyhow, we're soy-free and my kiddo won't drink milk. At 2yo, he still nurses. I figure my milk is better than cow juice.
He eats a variety of foods and enjoys water, but he's not a 9mo infant, y'know?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
at one bottle to no bottles per day, I'd go with hemp or goat's milk. I have a good friend that used hemp milk for her son, she is a vegan, and I have used goats'. I can't help thinking that real food is better than manufactured stuff, especially if it's just a supplement.

If it was half the feedings per day, I 'd have said formula.

JMO

·
Registered
934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit4ever View Post
I think I will try giving goats milk!! According to dr sears its the closest to breast milk..

Thanks!
Be careful with goats milk. Goat's milk protein is similar to cow's milk and may not be a good alternative for those with a milk allergy.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
absolutly do not use goats milk with a baby that young. It does not have the same fats or nutrion as formula or BM! And of your LO is having issues with milk AND soy, its a protein issue like the pp said.

I would use nutramagin or Almintum or even Neocate, but 9 months stilll needs formula, and the extra fats and things that are in formulas and BM.

If you need to find something for you to drink i would suggest, hemp milk or almond milk or even rice.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Put in that it's only for one bottle a day and that you're breastfeeding otherwise in your first post because that information is going to affect how people answer.

For one bottle a day, and a baby who nurses well, I second the suggestion to not bother with a breastmilk substitute at all.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
Be careful with goats milk. Goat's milk protein is similar to cow's milk and may not be a good alternative for those with a milk allergy.
Not refuting, just adding some info to this.

Cow's milk contains mostly WHEY protein, a common allergen.
Goat's milk contains mostly CASEIN protein, a totally different type of protein.

Some babies who are severly allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to goat's milk. Those babies have two allergies, one to whey, and one to casein.

At nine months, with previous breastfeeding, I would think it's likely your LO's intestines are sufficiently developed to be OK with any type of different protein.

HTH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.