Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 20 months old and he is ALWAYS sick. I'm not kidding. This last episode started with a croupy cough and wheezing on Halloween, then continued to fever and an ear infection, than started with diahrea and most recently vomiting. It is always like that with him. He catches absolutely everything.

Is that normal for some kids? Is there something that I can do to help him? I thought breastfed babies were healthier? Here he is nursed till 14 months, and my first only nursed for a few days and she's never sick a day in her life!!

Is this something to be worried about - do I have to be concerned about other issues?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like your gut feeling is telling you there is something else. I can't offer you any medical advice. Why not talk it over with the Doc.

It's hard for them being so ill and they are so needy aren't they. Hope things pick up soon for you Good luck I know how tiring it is as a girlfriend when back to back through the winter with colds, flu and infections. Exhausted she was by the end.

HTH

·
Registered
622 Posts
We went through this when my son started pre-school. Is your DS in day care? Is he around more kids now, when he wasnt in the past? My son started school right when he turned 3, and was sick for 4 months straight!!! It was awful. He's just now getting better. The doctor told me time and again that it is normal. Oh, and my son breastfed until he was 3, too.

Melanie

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Aw, I can totally relate! My 22 mo DS has been similarly ill this year - ear infections, upper and lower respiratory, constant fevers, diarrhea, etc.

This was really bothering me, until a friend pointed out it is his first year at a public daycare. He will likely pick everything up this year, but it's likely in the future his immune system will be much stronger. Try to look at it as the work to build a healthy immune system.

When this first started going on, my response was to take him to the doc all the time, which of course resulted in him being put on a bunch of antibiotics which had even more side effects in addition to the illness he was already experiencing. Exasperated, I asked a classmate who is an herbalist for suggestions - she had a lot of great suggestions. First we restriced dairy (not that DS ate that much dairy anyway). I think this is clutch as dairy can increase phlegm as well as irritating the GI tract. Since we're still nursing, I started taking garlic supplements in the hopes that DS will get some of the benefits of that. We also give him echinacea tea when he seems to be coming down with something. During an illness, we give willow tincture in warm water (though many people have told me there is a version of this made especially for toddlers with willow and garlic).

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knittermama - those are some great suggestions! Thank you!! At least it will feel better doing something. My doc isn't very pro antibiotic - especially since she knows I don't like them unless necessary.

I brought him back in yesterday because we ended up in the ER the other night for excessive vomiting - (every 15 minutes for 3 hours). My doc was TICKED that they gave him a suppository and didn't run any other tests. She has a feeling he may have caught rotavirus this time around. Strange thing is - this has happened before. He had diahrea for several days and then two to three days of vomiting - that time a different doc thought he may have just caught two different viruses. I just think its an unusual coincidence. Plus - he was born with malrotation. Although technicially there isn't anything wrong with the function of his intestines I still have my concerns that this is all linked.

Oh - and he is a stay at home baby - maybe that is just part of the problem that he hasn't really been exposed so when something does come his way he catches it? On the other hand DD was in daycare from 7 months to 18 months and then again started preschool at 2.

But thank you for the suggestions - much better than feeling helpless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts