Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a closet Dr. Pepper drinker.
: It's my one true vice and I don't really drink that much. My two oldest children wanted "sips" when they were little and hated it. Both of them still hate soda - it's the fizz in it that they hate. They both stated that it was "too spicy" and that was that. My 3rd dd is 18 mo now. When she first wanted a "sip" I gave her one thinking that she would hate it too. Well, that backfired and she loved it. So I now give my 18 mo 1-2 oz of watered down soda pretty much every day.
:
:
: (Maybe I should have registered under another user name for this post
)I try to drink the soda when she's not around, and I try putting it in other containers/cups but if she spies it, she comes running for "sippies".

Soooo, DH said to me the other day that I was hypocritical for allowing our dd to have soda when I was opposed to vaxxing. (He's pro-vax, btw and the only reason our first two are partially vaxed but that's another story) So, my question to you all is, am I being hypocritical? I think there isn't even a comparison, so she's eating a little bit of sugar and some phosphoric acid, but I don't think that's even in the league of vaxxing.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Ah, he's just saying that to be ugly.
: There is a big difference between feeding your child something their body will shortly eliminate and injecting them with heavy metals, animal viruses and God knows what else, that will take YEARS for their bodies to eliminate, if they ever do at all.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
LOL, I think we are all hypocritical in some areas of life. Seriously it is near impossible to lead a completely "natural" life. It's impossible to keep every ounce of sugar away from our children (because even if we succeed, grandma will come over and hand them a cookie). As for comparing not vaxing to Dr. Pepper...I'm not sure where the connection is? I guess it depends on your personal reasons for not vaxing. If it's because you don't want those chemicals in her body you could explain that the stuff in vaxes are known neuro-toxins and I don't think anything in Dr Pepper is.

Your story reminds me of one that was always told about my mom. When she was little she always wanted to try her dad's beer and cigarettes. So when she was 3 yrs old and her mom wasn't around, her dad decided to let her have a sip of the beer and a drag on the cigarette assuming she would hate them. Well she LOVED the beer! I guess after that she was always asking for it and her mom pretty much flipped out on her dad for giving it to her LOL. And for the record, my mom does not drink beer at all, in fact I've never seen her drink an alcoholic beverage in my whole life so I don't think your dd will necessarily be a dr pepper addict when she grows up (I love that stuff too but only in decaf or it keeps me awake).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
People can get fanatical about 'rights and wrongs' the only thing I can say here is that fizzy stuff may rot dd's teeth and you could try find alternative to the stuff, she likes it so that may be tricky.As for saying you are a hypocrite for allowing it well... I don't think you are. We ain't perfect and don't claim to be but sometimes our choices like not vaxing or homebirthing or whatever are used against us anytime we do something that is not 100% perfect.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Tell your DH if he can provide you with concrete information about people having adverse reactions to Dr Pepper you will stop giving it to them.

(I imagine you would if he provided evidence of Dr Pepper giving a person autism)

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
I would say he was right if you are injecting into her.

Somewhere there is a thread that discusses the difference between ingesting and injecting. Basically, the human digestive system is made to keep toxins out, but when we start injecting toxins, it allows them to bypass all the safety mechanisms and reach the brain/CNS and cause damage.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
You know, an alternative would be to mix some sprite with some dark colored juice and call it "baby dr pepper." That way she's not getting the caffeine at least. When my dh was little he always wanted coke so MIL would give him "baby coke" which was really just orange juice

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyttlewon
Tell your DH if he can provide you with concrete information about people having adverse reactions to Dr Pepper you will stop giving it to them.

(I imagine you would if he provided evidence of Dr Pepper giving a person autism)

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthebest
We ain't perfect and don't claim to be but sometimes our choices like not vaxing or homebirthing or whatever are used against us anytime we do something that is not 100% perfect.
I never thought about that before, but I think you're right. In a lot of ways I feel like I am held to a much higher standard b/c of my non-main-stream choices.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 2 aren't even in the same category,lol.

My dd gets what she calls "fizzy water'. When she was younger she just thought it was 'soda' made just for her,lol. Its just flavored carbonated water. Might be an option?

Dr. Pepper has something in it that gives me an instant headache
:

julie

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's silly! That is like saying because I drink soda (which I do also) then I should just stop eating vegetables or start shooting up heroin, or quit taking vitamin C or ....

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Hmmm. My vice is chocolate. This means that all of the other healthy eating and my careful avoidance of pharmaceuticals goes for nada?

This position sounds a bit like the more fanatical sort of religious doctrine: if thou art opposed to allopathic medicines thou shalt also avoid all junk food at all times and under all circumstances...or else?

Deborah

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The only thing I'd be concerned about is the aluminum from the can it's in, (assuming it's from a can) although, 1-2 watered down oz probably isn't enough to do any harm.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dingogirl
The only thing I'd be concerned about is the aluminum from the can it's in, (assuming it's from a can) although, 1-2 watered down oz probably isn't enough to do any harm.
I drink Mountain Dew like it's going out of style and I just asked DH about this (I can't believe it never occured to me before) and he insists that the cans are lined so the soda never touches metal. Says he watched one of those shows on how things are made about it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think your DH is being overly dramatic about the hyprotical thing. But, soda is junk and I see no need to give it to an infant...regardless of quantity.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
how about this to make you feel better?
i used to work at denny's (extremely disgusting, i know, it was a job and a mile away from me). parents would bring in their kids, and they'd always get the stupid dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets and french fries. and of course, the kids would get soda. (we also had like 6 different juices plus milk to choose from. oh yeah, and WATER.) i almost lost it when i saw a mom take the sprite (at least it didnt have caffeine) and pour it into her toddler's sippy cup! the entire cup of sprite, not diluted or anything! and then when he finished that, she asked for a refill!!!
but, i second the idea of trying the carbonated flavored waters (seltzer water?) with your 18 month old. there's no calories, and i doubt there is any caffeine because these girls i would babysit for years ago were allowed to have some before bed.
dont beat yourself up. i'm sure if you asked everyone here, most of us would admit that we sometimes feed our kids stuff that isnt always the healthiest.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Wasn't Dr. Pepper originally sold in the late 1800s as a pharmacuetical?

If it's the fizz that she likes, check out all the different carbonated waters. I'm sure you can find something that doesn't make you feel a little hypocritical.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly

If it's the fizz that she likes, check out all the different carbonated waters. I'm sure you can find something that doesn't make you feel a little hypocritical.
I was going to recommend the same thing.
Make her a kid's soda by adding mineral water and a splash juice together...bubbles and sweet flavor.

BTW MysticPrincess,
We get soda for the kids when we are at a restaraunt like Denny's. Since we go to them soooo infrequently we allow them the junk, usually they get rootbeer although more often these days they are asking for water.
We refill with water and I would NEVER give it to an infant or put in a sippy cup!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
I just knew there was a reason I liked it so much. I'm sure it will lead me to a long and prosperous life.

Quote:
I'm going shopping for some today. Maybe I'll make a change to them as well. I may need the food coloring tho to fool her or the cup will come flying . . .
:

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are not a hypocrite. There's a very big difference between injecting poison into your blood and drinking unhealthy liquid. Very different. And even if they were similar, just because you do one "unhealthy" thing doesn't mean you should do all unhealthy things. Silly.

Quote:
I don't think it was actually a pharmaceutical. If I'm not mistaken, it was just a beverage concoction created by a pharmacist at one of those old-time drug stores that had soda fountains in the back. Believe it or not, I did a paper on the history of Dr. Pepper in college. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the details.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts