Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...For feeling like it's time to have my cat euthanized?<br><br>
Here's the situation...<br><br>
She's 17. I've had her since she was six weeks old. She's beautiful and in remarkable health for her age, but now has chronic renal failure. She's on a special diet (she stopped being able to tolerate kibble a couple years ago; it made her barf... so she's already more expensive to feed, and this stuff is through the roof). It's not really helping much. She cries sometimes like she's uncomfortable. And when she gets mad at me (because her food bowl was empty too long, or I didn't take the litter out fast enough, or just because I had the audacity to go to bed), she poops in the living room.<br><br>
Beyond that... my husband is allergic to her. He knew I came with cat, but sometimes I don't want to pet her because then I have to wash my hands and arms before I touch him again. He also doesn't want to take any part in caring for her, so now that her litter has to be changed more often (since she pees a lot more than she used to, and she's fussier about it besides) and she has to be fed more often (when she could eat kibble, that was ALL she'd eat, so I could fill her bowl every day or two... now, she has to be fed two or three times a day or the meat will dry out before she finishes it), she's just a lot more work. I get up in the morning and have three small entities who all want me to feed them RIGHT NOW before I even get to pee.<br><br>
She's fine with the kids. Has no interest in the baby, and is remarkably tolerant of DS1. There's a part of me that would really like her to hang on long enough for DS2 to have some memory of her, but that's a couple years, and I don't know how fast she'll deteriorate.<br><br>
I don't think we're going to do any interventions beyond diet for the CRF. The vet hasn't proposed the injection therapy, and I'm not keen on it anyway. If she was a lot younger, I'd consider it, but even if it worked fabulously, chances are in the next couple years, something else will go anyway.<br><br>
What would you do? On the one hand, I've had her more than half my life, and it's hard to imagine *not* having her... on the other, she's had a long and healthy life for a cat, and I'm not sure I want to drag things out until she really deteriorates. My mom let one of our cats live for 21 years, and for the last three or so she was incontinent and senile. She'd sometimes stop in the middle of the room and just cry like she didn't know where she was. It was soooo sad, and I really wished my mom would have her euthanized, but she wouldn't because "She isn't in pain."

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Terrible? No. From what you've described, if she were my cat, I would not put her down yet. She sounds to me like she's still pretty happy and comfortable. To me, the time for euthanization is when the quality of the animal's life has deteriorated beyond reasonable help.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I would not just yet, but I think you're thinking about how much to intervene in her health at her age is sound. She'll let you know when she's no longer happy.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Having had several cats that have had PKD, which ultimately results in renal failure (at varying ages....I've known cats from around 5 years to 13 years when they've had to be euthanized from end stage) I have my own perspective. I personally would not go through the fluid injections. Usually, by the time they are at that point, you are buying them months only...and those months are going to be filled with frequent vet visits, needles, medication and stress. Some cats are better with the fluids than others.<br><br>
The prescription food will give her some time. What will happen is that there will come a point where her kidneys will not be able to keep up, even with the special diet/current fluid intake. She will stop eating, start losing weight. That would progress at that point until the organs shut down, fluid therapy can be tried but it seems most people who use fluid therapy at that time seem give their pets only a few extra months.<br><br>
The concern we all have is *quality* of life. Taking care of a cat is more that just keeping it alive. It's about ensuring that they have a quality of life. If it gets to that point where the quality of her life is suffering, and she is "not the same" then I personally wouldn't feel bad about euthanizing at that point.<br><br>
Many persian breeders who I know who have cats which are getting older and have PKD will note the symptoms of kidney disease, specifically the lack of eating, weight loss, lethargy, will take the cat in to be euthanized (there is genetic testing that they have done for PKD, they know their positive cats and know the symptoms).<br><br>
This is a chronic and terminal disease, there is no cure for it, it's about management. I'm of the opinion that I would not do heroic measures for a cat with a terminal illness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts