Mothering Forum banner

Am I being totally unrealistic?

570 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CATPAT30 
#1 ·
My DP and I are working on getting set up for fostering and it has been one frustrating thing after another and we're not even in the training yet
:

The local branch of the state licensing office has given me outdated information twice in a row about when the orientations are. There's nothing for this region posted on the state site, which is the primary way to get information about orientation and training times. The receptionists at the branch have no clue and are the ones that have given me bad information multiple times. The person in charge of recruitement, training etc. got back to me about when the trainings were, the day before they happened. Right, because I can just take three days off work with no notice to do this
and I still haven't received any response about when the next training is.

I'm really wondering how on earth they get any new foster parents at all.

I farmed out the contacting them to my DP since she's a social worker (with youth) and is much more familiar with the state and the glacial pace things move at, and I'm getting so frustrated that it'smaking me want to move to another area with a better agency

Is this kind of horrible communication normal or is this area's branch just particularly bad?

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbean View Post
I'm getting so frustrated that it'smaking me want to move to another area with a better agency

Is this kind of horrible communication normal or is this area's branch just particularly bad?
the move can be worth it but research before you move.
I am in Ontario Canada so some things are different but here every county has their own Public agency and they all seem to work differntly.
In Barrie (Simcoe County CAS) we waited and waited and went to the yearly info session ("this year we adopted 9 kids, 1/2 were siblings of previously adopted children"
) and we got no where. Someone finally came to our house to see if we were worth of the forms to fill out - we did not pass their inspection - no fault on our part we have asked around, she was just pushing our buttons and trying to find reasons to leave us out. We were called into office for interview (the SW that came to our house was RUDE and told us that we should try fertility treatments and Donor Sperm (our religious beliefs and conscience would not not allow us to do this) and when we told her we were not going to do Donor sperm she told us we were too narrow minded ** see rude!
any ways we get called in to speak to supervisor SW and they ask husband all sorts of questions that he does his best to answer in his way (he is a truck driver, his call sign is Dough Boy - he is all humour!) and they concluded with we need counselling because he is not ready to be a dad this very second and since his dad was a workaholic but very loving man who was as old as my grandfather when he died - they believed husband had Daddy issues. WHAT EVER!!

We decided to move to Blenehim (Chatham-Kent Child services) I emailed them to see what waiting period is , and low and behold i got a reply - within 1 week possibly sooner. And they do lots of adoptions there is no waiting list and they look forward to meeting us.
Decision made lets move. we did. august 07

I call them in October (we are settled and husband is ready for kids now - REALLY ready) and She comes over and does the application!!
cause really i was shocked. and she was nice and had a sense of humor and totally got Doughboy! and even helped to guide him and correct him when he would go a little too far with humour that others might not get (cause he thinks i am a prude sometimes when i ask him to reign it in) any ways.
Application DONE!
Training DONE!
Homestudy JULY!
they do so many adoptions they don;t dilly dally and same with foster parents.

and i live in such a nice area.

you should move up here it is beautiful!!

So I understand and you are not alone. No one down here could believe the way we were treated by Barrie. I am surely glad we moved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.