Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wasnt sure where to post this, but ..anyway..

So, DS is going to VBS this week! FUN!!!

(But only because i am a helper- they only have classes for under 4 yrs old for the workers' children.)

Anyway... I told the teacher when she asked if he had any allergies~
No, but i dont give him peanut butter or artificial sweeteners. ( i forgot to tell her no chocolate.) Ds's cousin has a pb allergy and we are erring on the safe side and i just dont do chemical sweeteners for him or any other children in my care for that matter. ( dont get me on that soapbos :LOL )

She made a weird sound like i was crazy. ( this was on the phone) and then when i dropped him off in his classroom yesterday they kinda acted funny. I have no ill feelings against his teacher, but i felt kinda weird.

Am I being unreasonable to ask that they not give my 17mth old those things? Is it so hard? He packs his own milk and sippie cup ( like most kids do) and I have snacks in his bag if he is hungry and cant have what they are having. They are serving a light dinner with VBS which i didnt know til this weekend and he eats most normal foods, but i dont like him to have junk. No chips, no candy. Yesterday they served bbq sandwiches with chips. He doesnt get them at home and he is too young to understand it is a special occasion so he doesnt really need it. Plus sometimes he chokes on crackers, i am sure he would on chips too. ( although DH has snuck him some ugh)

It made me feel like i was a freak. I have no desire to back down on my standards.

anyway. i guess this is kinda a vent. But i really want to know if i am being unreasonable? I have been a teacher before, for years. I had a parent that said no annato ( sp?) for her kid, that meant no goldfish crackers, no cheez its, and she provided us a list cuz we couldnt read the labels. ( we didnt get the labels. ) I can put a tshirt on him that says dont give me PB, chocolate or aspartame if they are afraid they will forget and it is necessary.

I am sure i wont have any problems tonight, but it just really made me feel like an oddball. Guess i should get used to it! I usually dont voice my baby stuff opinions (vaccination, food,meds, etc) unless invited into conversation. Then i tread lightly.

anyway...
thanks for reading and listening.

Amy

·
Registered
407 Posts
No, it's no unreasonable. It doesn't matter why you say you don't want your dc to eat those foods, especially since he is bringing his own.

Maybe you could print off something and bring it along about exposure to allergenic foods at an early age? Here's one from kellymom:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

I personally think that guide is a little conservative (at least for my family) but it's still educational.

But bottom line - it's your kid, your rules.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.