Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are times that Caden is actually sleeping in bed with us, but as we have a pillow top, I feel like I have to have him right next to me or have my arm under his head just to be sure he is secure (not turning over, to remind me that he is there, etc). So we have his crib rightnext to our bed, the front rail off so that he is easy access for nursing at night. Is he still getting the benefits of co sleeping or should I have him in bed with us? TIA!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi I dont know what a pillow top is?is it a big pillow that you think might be a prob with a wee baby?I used to get a very sore arm making sure baby was ok and not getting squashed when very small.They get big pretty quick and can easy let you know if they are squashed which they seem to end up in tight spots a lot just snuggling up to you.I think your ds will definitely be getting the benefits whether he's in his crib at side of your bed or in your bed or both. Just whatever suits you there is no 'right' way.With my first ds she was in a basket at the side of my bed which was a matress on floor so there was no height involved,she just used to crawl out and into mine(there is an upside to not being able to afford a bed) When I was real tired and had finished feeding I would often put her back in her basket, sometimes she wouldn't do it other times she would. In the end tho she was mostly in with me but I got her a wee bed next to mine when she was about 2 but she still slept with me when she wanted. My ds who is now 8 still kips with me on occasion and his sisters give him a hard time about it,tho he does sleep on his own mostly now, my youngest dd 10 occasionally kips with me if she has a nightmare, or just needs comfort, I'm on my own so I really don't mind but I think they are all pretty settled in their own beds now AT LAST!!! I guess it depends on how much privacy you need when he's a bit older, they tend to not want to leave your bed for quite some time but I think its good for a babe to have a bit of time to themselves as well and just next to your bed fits that nicely cos they know that you are just there but it also gives them a bit of independence.But I hope we still cosleep from time to time there aint nothing wrong with it but some people think its weird or worse but thats their problem. I spend large chunks of the day giving and getting hugs with my kids.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pillow top is just an ultra soft mattress with matting on top. I'm always afraid he'll roll over and suffocate.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You are fine with the side car arrangement. The important thing is to find out what works for your family, and if this does then it does. You have easy access to him and close proximity; that's what counts, IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts