Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm a SAHM with a master's in public health. I worked in public health (program management) before kids, but never really liked my job -- very administrative, no hands on work. I've always thought I should have taken a more clinical approach - like nursing. So here I am, six years later. I have three kids (6, 4 and 2) and I'm planning the next phase. I'd like to go back to work or school in the next year or so. I'm debating going back to school for nursing, with eventual hopes of becoming a nurse practitioner. But, man, it is daunting. I'd have about 1-2 years worth of prerequisites to fulfill before I apply, plus a 1.5 year BA program, and then possibly a 2 year master's program. That's a lot of school for a 34 year old with three kids who hasn't taken a hard science class since high school. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The career change isn't about finances - I could always just go back to my old field and start fairly entry-level again (I was just starting my career when I quit) and DH makes enough that we'd be fine. And nursing school would set us back - I'd need to take out student loans. So...I must be crazy, right? But I just can't shake the dream of being able to combine my MPH with a nursing degree for an almost perfect job IMO.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone have thoughts??</p>

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
<p>I think it is only worth it if you really know that you will love the job you will have after finishing all of your education.  To go into debt for schooling and survive clinicals and lots of hard nursing classes, you'd have to be pretty sure it is a career change that you really want to make.  Good luck!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts