Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD is 15 mo so I know our playdates are much more for my socialization than for hers. When she tends to interact with other little ones, I tend to step back and let them do their own thing. I keep an I out for dangerous play but otherwise I'm pretty relaxed.<br><br>
When over at the playdate we just went to my DD found herself being knocked over and pushed a bit. She responded very clearly saying "NO!" to her playmate and then going about her business. I don't think the boy was trying to hurt her, more like trying to use her to stand up. I figured since DD spoke up for herself there was no need for me to intervene aside from when she fell down one time and started crying. I scooped her up then and hugged her, as she told the boy "No no no" over my shoulder.<br>
My friend kept having to get up and tell her son "no hitting" "That's not how we treat guests"<br><br>
When I came home I wondered if I was causing too much work for my friend by not stepping in, especially when I was closer to the pair of kids. I started wondering if I was doing best by DD by having her handle the situation. It's my first time really dealing with Gentle Discipline involving others. Am I acting too hands off? Should I have done or said more?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i think your response was perfect! IMO it's best to intervene as little as possible ( as long as no one is being seriously hurt). i think it's great your daughter knows how to say "no!"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts