Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 16 weeks old and we started doing EC when he was about 6 weeks old. We both love it. I only put him on the potty when he shows signs and after sleeping. Lately he's been getting a lot better about showing signs and going as soon as he's put on. We've gone 2 full days of no accidents at all (we cloth diaper). He will stop nursing and wake up from sleeping, which he never use to do. I put him on the potty or hold him over it and he usually goes right away. When he is done I leave him on until he fusses. Sometimes he takes a while to poop so that's why I wait until he fusses. Is that going to cause problems? I was hoping it would teach him to let me know when he is done.

My other problem is since he started getting much better with EC his sleeping went down the drain. When he needs to go he starts kicking, squirming, latching and de-latching and can't fall asleep/stay asleep. We bed-share. But if I put him on the potty he starts screaming because I've woken him up more. What am I supposed to do here? I don't want him to think of the potty as a bad thing but if I don't put him on the potty he doesn't really sleep so neither do I.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I think letting him hang out on the potty if he's comfortable is fine. My oldest was that way (he'd watch all of Sesame Street on the potty) and he still takes a long time, while my youngest is more restless.

For bedtime pottying, I'd try some other ways to potty him the gets the job done without upsetting him. You could get a top hat potty that sits between your thighs or just use an open diaper under him. That way you can potty him in the same position that he nurses in. You can also try pottying him before you settle down to nurse him to sleep when he's less sleepy and cranky =)

Just keep it up, stay relaxed about it and keep the communication going between the 2 of you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
my baby is 3 months old and we've been doing EC since day 3. We also cosleep and at night she started to thrash around, really kicking her legs. I interpreted this as a need to poop (I always think it's poop!). So, I woke her up to potty. BIG MISTAKE. She was pissed that she was now awake and there was no use in trying to use the potty. The next time she started thrashing, I rolled her onto my chest/stomach for a side change (this is how i change sides for sleeping and swap out a wet diaper without waking her up). When she was on her stomach on top of me, she stopped thrashing, let out a big milky burp, and continued sleeping. I rolled her down to my other side, stuck my boob in her face, and she continued to sleep no thrashing. But sometimes it really is a need to potty. If the side change doesn't help, and it looks like she might be waking up on her own, I'll switch on the nightlight that is right by my head and watch her face. I won't try to wake her, I'll just observe if her eyes start to open. If she calmly opens her eyes and keeps them open (no crying) I'll ask her if she wants to potty and she'll unleash hell into the potty. (I keep the potty and extra diapers in a basket in the bed next to me, so we never leave the sleep space at night)

I also had questions about knowing when baby is DONE using the potty. My baby seems to want to potty FOREVER. I hold her over the sink more at opportunities. I know she has at least one signal, but i don't know what it is for specifically, so when i hear it, we try everything (potty, nursing, cold, sleep...). So baby gets opportunities but she ALWAYS TRIES to poop. I have no idea if she needs to poop or is just trying. Sometimes it is epic. Most of the time poop does result, but am I forcing her by keeping her over the sink so long? But I'm afraid she does have to poop and if i remove her, she'll get upset. Many times she has several poop blasts. So I always wait to see if there is more. She has never signaled that she is done, she just keeps trying. After awhile of trying with no more poop I call it a day and take her off. Sometimes she's agitated when I try to put the diaper back on, but if we go back to the potty place, she cries even more. Also, the same leg kicking motion that prompted me to bring her to potty and results in a poop, continues after i concluded she had no more poop. So my big question right now is also, am i doing this right? Baby never poops in a diaper so I think she needs the opportunities, but is it ok that she tries so HARD to poop? There are loud noises, sometimes leg jerks (not crying. sometimes she is damn happy)...it freaks me out!!!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A couple thoughts on the sleepy-pottying:

1) can you nurse while you potty and cue him?

2) can you hold a cloth diaper to him in bed and cue him to go into that?

·
Registered
436 Posts
My dd never really woke up when I took her to the potty at night. I just kept her snuggled to me the whole way from bed to toilet. Her big night time cue was popping on and off the breast (oh how I wished it would happen during the day too!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts