Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 7 and 1/2 months old and I am a SAHM so I have never had the need to pump or supplement with a bottle. She started solids a few weeks ago and now she is only nursing for a few minutes at a time. I cant get her to stay at the breast for more that 3-5 minutes. I am really starting to think that I am loosing my milk because of this. I am no longer feeling the let down and my breasts are not as full feeling as they were. Now she is fussing all the time and I think its because she is hungry but she just wont eat, its like she is fusterated that the milk isnt coming out enough. This is just breaking my heart, I dont want to stop nursing my daughter. She was crying so hard a few minutes ago that I broke down and gave her a bottle of formula that I had recieved in the mail as a sample (I wish I would have just thrown it away or donated it) Now she is happy and smiling please someone tell me if this is a supply issue or a nursing strike. I have tried taking brewers yeast and fenugreek and nothing seems to be helping.
Thank you so much in advance
~Cindy~

· Registered
11,048 Posts
First, I would cut back on the solids and see if she will nurse more.

Second, it's likely that she's a very efficient nurser at this point and can empty your breasts pretty quickly. It's also likely that your breasts are mature enough now that you don't feel letdown even when it's happening.

As long as you keep nursing her as much as she wants, your supply will keep up with her demand.

Check out www.kellymom.com for her page on nursing strikes- how to tell if you're in one and what to do about it. She also has some great pages on low supply and how to tell if you actually have low supply.

Stay away from the supplemental bottles- if she's hungry or thirsty, nurse!

Hang in there!

· Registered
9,433 Posts
everything quirky said..

adding, has anythign else changed other then the solids? have you rearranged furniture? moved? changed deoderant/shampoo/perfume etc? any changes at all?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.