Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm all for natural cleaning, in fact, I've been using vinegar and water (w/ tea tree and lavendar) for about 3 years. But lately, I've been wondering if my house is really "clean".

My bathroom, kitchen...am I killing any germs? Am I just spreading stuff? I don't know why I'm suddenly freaking out about all of this...

Please help me from buying a container of those disinfecting wipes!!! I've been so tempted lately!

Anyone have the science behind all of this?

Thanks!

--Jennifer

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Don't really have any exact answers for you. Sometimes I clean with all natural products and other times I stray and use lysol. I think you're doing the tight thing though. I think we've been brainwashed in believing all these cleaning chemicals kill all the nasty diseases and we need them. They probably do more harm than good and just cover up odors with more chemical smells.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I don't think "disinfecting" is really necessary in the home. In a hospital, yes, but not at home.

If anything, I'm more worried about the chemicals in Lysol etc. making me sick!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
People who use the antibacterial crap and the lysol and the bleach or killing all bacteria.....Good and Bad.

They are creating these "super bugs" that would normally be killed in the grand scheme of things by good bacteria. No good bacteria=super ugly bad bacteria.
:

Keep doing what you are doing. By allowing the good bacteria to thrive in your home, you are probably healthier than the average antibacterial nut.

The more of us who succeed at being natural, the better balanced things are...even tiny things like good and bad bacteria.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree with the others. I have never really even thought about disinfecting my house. No one who lives here or visits is immuno-compromised or anything. I let my daughter play in the dirt. Of course, I also have been known to set a sandwich down outside between bites. We rarely get sick. Most of the time, I clean with just plain old water and a bit of elbow grease. If stuff actually looks dirty, I use something stronger, like vinegar. But it's never really crossed my mind that I'm supposed to be *killing* anything while I'm cleaning (well, maybe if the cat misses her litterbox, but not when I'm wiping down countertops). I certainly don't think what you're doing is going to make anyone sick. Keep up the good cleaning!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Vinegar is naturally antibacterial, so you are disinfecting. I don't have a link to the studies per se, but I have read that research has been done to show that vinegar is effective at killing household germs without creating antibiotic resistance in bacteria.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
-Jennifer I can understand your feelings on this. I have little freak
outs myself about keeping my home clean. I blame it on my
OCD and tell myself to chill out, it works for me.
I agree with all the previous posts. It bothers me to no end when
I watch TV commercials trying to tell people that a clean home is a
germ free home. It's just them selling a product, it's not true.
I have to use some products in my home that I am not perfectly
comfortable with. I live with my parents and take care of my Mother.
She is diabetic and been very ill the past six years. I have antibacterial
soap in the bathroom for her to use, she has already lost one finger
to a small unseen cut getting infected. She has also lost her left leg
up to the knee and toes on her right leg.
I use plain vinegar and water in a spray bottle in my kitchen and
bathroom. I bought a handheld steam cleaner and I use that in the
kitchen and bathroom for the tough stuff. I make little essential oil
mixes to use on my kitchen countertop. Usually tea tree, and
different citrus oils. I know they help with germs but truthfully I do
it cause I love the smell. I don't do this every time I clean as I am
concerned about Sensitization.
I use this links from time to time.
http://www.mehs.educ.state.ak.us/por.../cleaners.html
http://nancysnatural.expage.com/index.html
I also found this link I thought you might want to look at the research of
vinegar vs water and detergent.
http://www.nidi.org/nickel/0600/5b.shtml

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the support. Really!! I agree that the chemicals from commercial cleaners probably would make my household more sick than using natural cleaners.

Like I said, just having a moment of "am I doing the right thing?!?!"

Thanks again!

--jennifer

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I'm pretty much a natural soap and water cleaner user. I do use a scrub with bleach in it on the toliets. Other than that I don't like to use chemicals and love using vinegar!

One thing I would suggest, if you don't already, is to not use a sponge to wipe counters, etc. They are great places for bacteria to breed and then are easily spread.

If you do use a sponge, change it out often. If you use a dishwasher put the sponge in there for a cycle to disinfect it.

Great topic!

·
Banned
123 Posts
I also just use vinegar, soap & baking soda for household cleaning. I can only think of a couple of times that I have used diluted bleach to disinfect high contact stuff like toilets, handles, certain toys the telephone etc when we've had some nasty illness going around in the family. For the most part though, I'm totally comfortable without chemicals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.