Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mil had a brain tumor removed in Sept 2005. She was in and out of hospitals and a nursing home until Jan 2006. During one of her hospitalizations she had a bladder infection. They had signs, gloves, etc. I thought because she was in a fragile state. Come to find out it was a MRSA infection.<br><br>
Fast forward to now. Just before Christmas she had a minor surgery to place an implant since one of her vocal chords wasn't functioning. Just after Christmas she ended up with no voice at all and dr put her back in the hospital on steriods and iv abx. Now she's been on antibiotics for over a month and the infection hasn't gone away yet.<br><br>
Should I be worried about my 5yo and especially my 6mo being around her? Since she can't swallow (been on a feeding tube since the initial brain surgery) she must spit out excess mucous. She spits it into a tissue, but to me it's hardly a "bug proof" barrier and she can't run over to the sink and wash her hands every time she coughs something up (she still uses a walker sometimes). She loves to hold the baby, but his big thing is to chew on fingers and she lets him chew on hers. I guess we were together at Christmas and he didn't get what she's got, but I don't want to be messing around with something like MRSA.<br><br>
Any help? thoughts? medical literature? etc?<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It depends on where her MRSA infection is and whether or not she is colonized. If she has MRSA in her sputum then I would think a gown, gloves, and mask would be in order. It would make me nervous to expose my little one to it.<br><br>
But I wouldn't cut off visits or anything. l would talk to her infectious disease doc. I am sure they could give some good info on her present MRSA status.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Jen,<br><br>
I believe that you have a valid concern. As a former nurse; it was drilled into us that most bacteria/viruses are transmitted on the hands. Does she wash her hands immediately after coughing up sputum? How about right before handing the baby? These are all proper precautions that should be taken. If she has any open wounds; they should be completely covered. This website gives more detail:<br><br><a href="http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html#8" target="_blank">http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html#8</a>

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I talked to mil this weekend and she says that she isn't contagious and the infection was local to the surgical site. I'm still a little paranoid about it though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts