Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my acceptance letter to nursing school and as I pretty much knew, they require you get your shots if you're not immune (they make you get titers for hep b, rubella, varicella, rubeola, and mumps). If you are found to be unprotected, you are required to get that vaccine.<br><br>
It says for MMR, that "if unprotected against measles, mumps, or rubella a booster MMR is required." It also says that "it has been made mandatory by the center for disease control and the allegheny county health department that all students receive and complete the hep b vaccination series."<br><br>
It also says that I will not be permitted to enter the nursing program unless I have completed and submitted all required info as identified on the medical exam form (where all the titers and whatnot are listed).<br><br>
What I'm wondering is, can I get out of getting my vaccines and still be able to be admitted or am I outta luck? I really want to become a nurse, so I don't want to mess up my chances.<br><br>
I probably wouldn't care so much if I was not nursing. If I have no choice and go ahead with my vaxes, will they harm my dd? She is just about 9 months old; she's only had the first set of 2 month vaxes and that's it.<br><br>
I live in Pa. And as a side note, how am I supposed to get all these things done when I don't even have health insurance?<br><br>
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ack! I'm in a similar boat. I'm in my last year of a masters in social work and will be doing my practicum at a hospital. The Hep B series is the only requirement that I don't already have and I'm not a fan, from what I've read on it. Plus we're still nursing too. I've been scouring the internet doing research and haven't found anything conclusive. Someone asked your question on thinktwice.org (they were even doing nursing school) and the author of that site made a couple suggestions. But reading between the lines, if those suggestions don't work then yeah - you're pretty much out of luck.<br><br>
The only research I've seen about getting vaxed when nursing is basically - we don't know if the baby would get any of the vax in breastmilk. Great! So I and my daughter are guinea pigs. That really irritates me.<br><br>
What sucks is they encourage us to think critically in most upper level education, and social work in particular, and in this case my choice to educate myself and make a decision outside the mainstream way of thinking could possibly hurt me and my career. Like you, I don't want to jeopardize my placement/career. And it sucks. You have my sympathy.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This is very interesting, because I am a health care worker and every health care facility I have ever worked in (several states) offer and <i>encourage</i> the Hep B vaccine, but also allow you to sign a form to decline it.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
For a university program it should be easy to claim a religious objection. Same for a job at a hospital (nearly all receive federal funds) the one grey area as I understand it is working at hospitals as part of course requirements where it's not the university or your employer.<br><br>
good luck!<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had no idea how dangerous vaccines could be when I entered nursing school. My titers were negative, so I had a fourth MMR. Of course I was assured that it was completely safe although my instincts told me otherwise. I now believe that is what caused my autoimmune thyroid disease. I would find any possible way to avoid getting more vaxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts