Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds,who will be 4 this Saturday,really loves to be read to,likes to do board games to his own rules,and color in books,art projects,etc. But he just does NOT like anything to do with academics. Like,if I take out a workbook that focuses on counting or the alphabet,he just starts scribbling on the pictures and will not count,things like that. He also will not write any letters/numbers yet.

Am I pushing this too much? I'm thinking I should I toss the workbooks and just let him do his own thing. I guess I just had the whole "homeschool ideal image" in my mind,you know,sitting down at the table together,going thru different books and subjects,etc.
: But shouldn't a 4 yr old be able to write letters and numbers,and count out objects,or am I being unrealistic in my expectations?

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by L&IsMama View Post
Am I pushing this too much? I'm thinking I should I toss the workbooks and just let him do his own thing.
I think you should set aside the workbooks for now too. If he's not enjoying them, what's the point? Do you really want him to start hating "math" at age 4???

Quote:
I guess I just had the whole "homeschool ideal image" in my mind,you know,sitting down at the table together,going thru different books and subjects,etc.
: But shouldn't a 4 yr old be able to write letters and numbers,and count out objects,or am I being unrealistic in my expectations?
Many 4 year olds do NOT enjoy those kind of activities. It depends on the child. I've also found that most kids will pick up those skills on their own WHEN THEY'RE ready. My oldest son wasn't interested in academics at all until about age 5.5. Whereas my oldest daughter was raring to go at age 4. Now that my DS is 7, he enjoys math and reading, and is at 'grade level' but he sure wasn't interested when he was 4....

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
My son hates math, because of the time he spent in public school, and that his problems with writing. He writes terribly and since they made such a huge deal out of how bad his writing was, anything that requires handwriting, he hates now. We've been homeschooling just over a year now, and we've taken it easy with that subject. We dont 'unschool' but he was dreading math, so last year we just did some fun workbook exercises from a workbook geared towards helping your kids retain what they learn over summer vacation. This year we did other subjects first, for the year, and then revisited math starting in Febuary, and we're taking it very slowly.

I guess what I'm saying is dont feel like it has to be all or nothing. If your child doesnt like something, try another angle. Try maybe playing with blocks and counting that way or getting one of those things of foam numbers and playing with them (could always use your books as a guide to the type of skills you want to share). Its amazing how much kids learn when they don't feel like its "work".

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yes I think you're pushing too much. Let him be 4. He's learning through all the activites you just described.

My dd would never stand for a workbook where she had to write letters or numbers. But give her some games, cards, puzzles or mazes & she'll sit for hours. I know she's learning through all this. in fact, she's picking more than I could ever imagine.

Take some deep breathes mama.

·
Registered
832 Posts
VERY unrealistic in your expectations. Both my kids could count out objects at almost 4 (son to 7, daughter to over 100), but neither could write letters and numbers at that age. Cameron still isn't reading, Ani learned to read at 4 1/2 (and in the last 2 1/2 years has progressed to a 5th-ish grade level and is considered academically gifted). Your son is not yet 4. Let him be a kid and don't kill his natural love of learning by forcing academics on him so young.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ty for all the replies. This is actually what I was hoping to hear. My biggest issue is my dh. He is finally supportive of HSing,but he thinks that ds "needs" to be "doing things".
: I only recently dragged out the workbooks,and a few times ds liked them ok,but for the most part he couldn't care less about them. I'm more than likely going to freecycle them or sell them on the TP.
I SO do not want to dampen his natural love for learning,and I felt so horrible at myself today for trying to get him to do letters.

I just needed a little reminder to not lose perspective,kwim? I never wanted to be so rigid with hs'ing,especially at his age.
I'm just going to follow his requests for awhile and see where it takes us. It's much nicer that way for all of us. I just want dh to see that,too.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Quote:

My ds,who will be 4 this Saturday,really loves to be read to,likes to do board games to his own rules,and color in books,art projects,etc. But he just does NOT like anything to do with academics.

Re: the board games my DS is like that too. Now, at age 5.5 he'll play most games according to the real rules. The last time we played Candyland he actually went very far back when he picked the peanut card! Before I told him he didn't have to go back because he would just get too frustrated by it. Now he wants to play by the rules most of the time. He'll still sometimes get restless near the end of a game of checkers and will claim his remaining checkers had babies as he brings his captured checkers back on the board.

As for your DS not liking anything to with academics, I seriously doubt that. He might not be interested in writing letters or numbers in a workbook, but you can be sure he loves to learn and much of what he wants to learn is going to fall into the realm of academic subjects. I also agree that 4 years old is too little to expect them to write letters and numbers. Some will be able to, some won't. Some will be able to write some letters and numbers, but not all.

I know how it is to deal with a DH who doesn't totally get it, but he will come around more in time when he realizes how much your DS is truly learning.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I agree that it's too much to ask for a 4 year old - some 4 year olds might like workbooks, but if he doesn't, I wouldn't push at all. My oldest son at four loved workbooks, writing, reading, math; my current almost four year old does not. We work on counting and alphabet things in real life - count flowers, birds, trucks, acorns, blocks as you build something, etc. Is it not better to count/add/subtract real objects than pictures of the same object? Point out letters in signs, make the first letter of his name in the sand, with sticks, with your bodies, etc. Learning is happening even when (especially when?) you don't fill out a piece of paper.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
ITA with the others. Follow his lead- he doesn't want to do workbooks right now, or he wants to use them as coloring books. Let him be 4. Developing a healthy attitude towards learning is much more important right now (and always IMO) than learning specific facts or skills.

·
Registered
768 Posts
there are other ways to do counting and writing. counting seeds, beans, different cereals, etc. as well as sorting them. as for writing...yes it is so impressive to see a 3 or 4 yo writing their name. blah! not all kids pick up that fine motor skill stuff at the same time. my son likes to "write" notes to his friends and mail them. this is the way i get him to practice writing. his name is not very legible but it doesn't matter. he is building the muscles and coordination in his hand and i just trust that the writing will come when it is time.good luck!

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Quote:

My ds,who will be 4 this Saturday,

But he just does NOT like anything to do with academics. Like,if I take out a workbook that focuses on counting or the alphabet,he just starts scribbling on the pictures and will not count,things like that. He also will not write any letters/numbers yet.

Am I pushing this too much?
I STRONGLY believe all learning at this age+ should be developmental and child led. I purposefully stayed away from ever teaching #s or letters to my kids. Despite that, ds (5) now in kinder at a very high achieving school (we're the only non-preschool family) is one of the top students academically.

This time is precious--use it to enjoy and explore the world together.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

I'm more than likely going to freecycle them or sell them on the TP.
I SO do not want to dampen his natural love for learning
Oh, I wouldn't do that! As he learns to enjoy reading and math he may WANT to do them! Also, would he be interested in "playing school" with them? Have HIM teach YOU math! Kids learn best by teaching others the skill you want them to master, I firmly believe that!
But, really, with the second part up there that I quoted, you really hit the nail on the head. He has lots of time ahead of him!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.