Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the bathtub last night with my two girls, 1 and 2, and the phone rang. Of course I just let it ring because...well..we were having fun
After their baths I called my friend back and told her I was sorry I missed her call because I in the tub with my girls. She said "You mean you were bathing your girls?" I said "No, I was in the tub WITH them." Then she went on this rampage of how nasty, yes NASTY it was. She said it was inappropriate (them seeing me naked) and that I was sitting in their urine (umm, how does she know they peed...they probably did, but so what?!) I told her in the end she can bathe her kids and I can bathe mine. Now, DH does not bathe with them, but I always do. I think it is a fun, bonding time and we have fun, plus it is a great way to wash their hair. Am I nuts? Please tell me I am not the only mama who climbs in with their little ones?

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 6 month old hasn't had a bath without me (other than the one in the hospital), it's SO much easier that way! My 2.5 yr old and 4.5 still regularly bathe with me and they are all boys. *gasp*

Wouldn't have it any other way!

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
DH and I both bathe and shower with our 3 yr old son.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Both my partner and I bathe and shower with our son!
Fun and good bonding time. How else would I know how much he likes to tickle his tounge by sticking it into the water when the shower is on? How else would I know he wants me to share the experience because he pushes me until I do it, too?!

Water + baby/toddler/child + parent/s = FUN

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whew! I am glad. She made me feel like a creepy parent.
: I tell ya, I really am the weird one out in my group of friends..the only one who breast feeds, organic, GD, AP, and now the only one who bathes with her children. Maybe I need new friends.....thank god for MDC

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't bathe with my kiddo, but I let him in the bathroom while I'm bathing. I think it has helped him develop a healthy attitude toward the human body. Some of my relatives think I'm encouraging him to be pervy, though. Whatever!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't even know it was controversial! My husband and I both bathe with our 4yo son (more frequently my husband than me). I also remember fondly bathing with my mom and sister, right up to puberty (when I no longer wanted to). Many families I babysat for (before I had kids) bathed or showered together, I would learn this from things the kids would say or even from the parents directly.

And don't Japanese families all bathe together- they have special bigger bathtubs just for that.

Sounds like your friend just has her own issues- hang-ups about nudity. There is nothing inherently wrong with nakedness in the bath or out.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
My two and four year old sons amost always strip and climb in the shower anytime they hear the shower water running. I don't mind it, except I'd ocassionally like a moment alone-- oh well, maybe in five years! Anyway, I think it's absolutely healthy and natural, but I don't go advertising it to others, either.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Both DH and I bathe with DS, and will with DD as well. That being said we don't always bathe with him, but we get so much water on us when we are outside the tub we might as well be inside and getting a nice bath while we're getting soaked anyways. DS didn't have a bath alone till after he was 1.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with bathing with your kids. We do it all the time

·
Registered
788 Posts
At 1 & 2, how is it inappropriate?

We bathe & shower w/ DS too...he never had one of those baby baths, once his cord fell off, we both take a bath together... much easier then trying to lean over the tub. Now that he's older he often takes a bath by himself too but I'll still get in there with him from time to time....he almost always gets in with DH and I whenever one of us takes a shower just because he feels left out if the water's running and he doesn't get to play.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.